The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Beating!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by linuxman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. linuxman

linuxman Well-Known Member

I don't want to beat this issue to death. I have one Cpanel server that I am already running a CERT on the main IP. Today I have added another one to another domain, I want to make sure I hit this right.

1) I first generated the CSR, got the cert, then ask my provider for an additional IP.
    2) Then I added the site as a IP based site domain.com
    3) Then I added a DNS record for the IP and secure.domain.com.

4)Now I most wait for everything to prop.
    5)Now do I just add a folder to the main sites public_html folder called 'secure'? I am taking it I do not want to set up a subdomain called 'secure' is this correct?

Thanks for any assistance if you see something I have missed here. The CERT installed with no errors. I did this 3 hours ago and I still get nothing at https://secure.domain.com.

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Best way to do it is add secure as a subdomain using the control panel. Just adding the directory doesn't add the subdomain.

3. linuxman

GotHosting, nice to see you again. Anyway I figured the best way was to add the DNS record for this directly in the DNS editor through WHM and then just add the folder. Adding the subdomain and then the CERT on the subdomain was causing some issues with the main domain. I did it the other way and within about 10 minutes of my original post five different people I called from around the country could see it. I don't what was happeding when I did it the other way, but is was keeping domain.com (fine). However the www.domain.com was blowing out and showing server not found. So I am sure it is something I was doing wrong but the other way seemed to work quickly. I have not found any side effects yet, but I am still working on it as well.

4. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    More than one way to skin a cat, as they say!

I just did this, and this is how I did it.

Added secure.domain.com via cpanel.

This created the necessary DNS, httpd entries and created the secure directory and imedaitely, secure.domain.com pointed to domain.com/secure.

Installed teh CRT through whm as I normally would any other domain and worked like a champ.

In my particular case, I did nto want it to point to the secure directory, so I just manually edited the httpd.conf file to point it to the same docroot as the main site and then deletd the driectory that was created.

Sounds like you way would have been easier in my case whereas my way might have been easier in yor case.

Life is funny sometimes. :)

5. liquidcherry

liquidcherry Well-Known Member

subdomain dont propagate?

hi @ all,

i have some problems with the setup for the secure.domain.com.....
    Here is what i did:
    I ordered a ip for secure.domain.com
    (the main Domain have a nother ip,namebased,the virtuall from my server)
    I made a DNS Zone for secure.domain.com
    In Cpanel for the domain i created a subdomain called secure.domain.com
    The subdomain creation created a folder named secure....
    Now i am waiting since over one week (for propagate)but all what i see when i type in my browser secure.domain.com is the "here is no website ,contact webmaster.yadayadayada...",the standard client page from cpanel......
    When i go to http://www.domain.com/secure i see the folderlist and the stuff what i put in for testing....

Should'nt i see the stuff what is in the secure folder when i type secure.domain.com?

So iam sure iam missing something here,any help or advice will be appreciated

Frank

6. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Don't add it as a DNS zone. Add it as a subdomain to the existing zone.

That will probably rectify the problem.

7. liquidcherry

i just did it....

thanks for your fast reply gothosting....
    i just did it, the strange on this is the fact that the entries appeared in the main domain DNS Zone,with the virtuell IP....
    (am I right if i assume that this happens after i created the subdomain?)
    So i guess due to this it was a mixup :)

Do you know how long the changes will take,i mean before i have the right setup to install a SSL Cert?

thanks

Frank

8. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    since it is all local, the changes should be immediate.

9. liquidcherry

hmmmm maybe iam impatient but immediately means now or after 5 min ,longest time 20 min,right? :)
    But nothing new happens,i just see that !@#$% yadayada site,from cpanel.... :)
    I deleted the especially created DNS for the secure.domain.com ,put the right ip Entries in the SubDomain Fields from the Main DNS Zone so that the Main Domain has now the IP 64.xxx.xxx.13 and the Subdomain IP is 65.xxx.xxx.123
    Should be right....right?

DNS is a mistique thing........

**Cry....all what i want is just have a subdomain where i can install a SSL Cert...Cry**

Maybe iam totally confused because i just Did what i gathered from the many threads here.....

thanks in Advance

Frank

10. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It is probably a problem with the entries in the httpd.conf. Did you create the subdomain using the cpanel interface? Or just by adding it as a subdomain to the zone? If all you did was add it as a subdomain to the zone, then the proper httpd.conf entries would not have been made.

If you want me to take a look, PM me and we can make arrangements.

Jon

11. linuxman

GotHosting, Again I just added the DNS Zone and dumped a folder named the same thing in public_html and everything works instantly. I have done five more since posting the first time. However, I did try to install IKONboard last night and ran into some difficulties. I am sure it has something to do with the automated install script and I will need to edit that for it to work. I just haven't taken the time to do that yet.