Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SSL Cert / Domain Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PV-Patrick, Apr 7, 2008.

1. PV-Patrick

PV-Patrick Member

Hello all! I have a question in terms of using a subdomain and how an SSL cert will act.

Basically, I want to create a subdomain to host another portion of a website. I noticed that within cpanel you can create a subdomain and it basically is a link to the root public_html/subdomain and puts the contents in that folder. My question is, I am essientially wanting to obtain an SSL cert for both portions of the site, main and subdomain. If I use the cpanel way, will the cert for domain.com cover the subdomain.domain.com since it's technically in the root of domain.com?

Another side question for SSL, if I purchase SSL cert for domain.com, will that cover www.domain.com? Thanks for the help!

2. bornonline

bornonline Well-Known Member

It will work, if you don't care about cert warnings. You will need a wild card cert to do that or one for each domain or sub domain.

RapidSSL certs from servertastic are VERY cheap :)

#2 bornonline, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  3. PV-Patrick

PV-Patrick Member

Well, I care about warnings since I would like it to be professional looking.

So I guess I'm looking at 2 certs to do it 'right'. Thanks! Wildcard certs I hear are expensive...