SSL Cert for Addon Domains

mikecavallo

Registered
Dec 12, 2019
Brookfield, CT USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have a bunch of addon domains that I am currently switching the dns to. In the past I have edited the .htaccess file to push to https. Problem is I just added a new domain and new .htaccess file. Once I point the DNS it tells me the 'Connection Is Not Private'. Does it take time for a cert to be issued for the addon domain?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Once the addon domain, or any new domain, is created, it can take a bit of time for the DNS checks to complete and for an AutoSSL certificate to be issued as that doesn't happen instantly at the time of the account creation.

If it has been a few hours and you still aren't seeing the SSL in place, it would be best to open a ticket with our support team at tickets.cpanel.net so we could get access to the system and see what the hangup is.

mikecavallo

Registered
Dec 12, 2019
Brookfield, CT USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks for the quick reply. I will wait a couple hours to see if it works. Is there a way to make it so the site is not down while waiting for cert to be issued? Do I have to add the .htaccess file for the cert to be requested? Or should I change DNS without the .htaccess in the folder and wait a couple hours and then upload the .htaccess?

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@mikecavallo
you can go to cPanel -> Security -> SSL/TLS Status and view status of the certificates and, if needed, run AutoSSL.

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I do not have SSL/TLS status under the security section. Im using cPanel 78.0.44. Is this because I do not have root access or WHM?
You don't have it because your hosting provider has disabled it in feature manager.
You can not change that without root WHM.

maymmeway

Registered
Dec 16, 2019
U.S.
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Drew. I did that once the portal started working again. The support home page is still broken in both Chrome and Safari, but the case creation is working.