The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ssl cert for one domain, one account, affecting other accounts

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by malioml, Nov 7, 2014.

1. malioml

malioml Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hello, i have a vps with one fixed ip and a lot of accounts that have domain, web, email accounts etc...

i got a cert for one domain and i installed it.

the installation was succesfull but my problem is that if i put in browser /https://other domain of my account's, Apache prints website of domain with SSL cert installed.

what am I doing wrong?

thx in advance

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

That is because you have installed the SSL as dedicated on the domain in question where your IP shared. You would want to implement SNI ( Server Name Indicator ), SSL support in your server if you want to have dedicated SSLs on shared IP.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

If the account is assigned a shared IP address, and a SSL certificate is installed on that IP address, then any secure request to a domain name on that IP address will load the contents of the domain name the certificate is installed for. This is by design. You will need to assign a dedicated IP address to the account that uses the SSL certificate if you don't want that certificate applied to the other domain names on it's IP address. Or, you could generate/install a self-signed certificate for each domain name on the server (Assuming your server supports SNI). You could also make one alternate SSL certificate the primary certificate for an IP address via the "Make Primary" option in "WHM Home » SSL/TLS » Manage SSL Hosts".

Thank you.