The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL cert for www subdomain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaytek13, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jaytek13

jaytek13 Registered

I have 2 certs to be installed for domain.com and www.domain.com. At this point, I am trying to create an account with it's own IP address for www.domain.com but am getting this error:

Account Creation Status: failed (Sorry, that domain is already setup (remove it from httpd.conf : line 1118))

At first, line 1118 was in reference to the ServerAlias for www.domain.com. I removed this, distilled, restarted Apache, and again attempted to add the account for www.domain.com. This resulted in the same error, with line18 now being in reference to ServerName domain.com.

I've been told by many people that it was possible to have this configuration set up, but have not actually spoken with anyone who tried it themselves (rather they were running on the information solely about subdomains in general and not www in specific).

Is it even possible to have 2 SSL's for domain.com and www.domain.com with different IP's in CPanel? Everything seems to indicate that CPanel does not like that configuration.

2. xyber13

xyber13 Well-Known Member

SSL Certs

Hi Jaytek13,

To install an SSL Cert on a domain, you need to have a dedicated IP on each domain. While www.domain.com and domain.com may be similar, it still requires two separate IPs. Unless you have a wildcard SSL which enables you to install it on any subdomains of a domain.

Rgrds,
    -Xyber13.

3. jaytek13

jaytek13 Registered

Yes, I know. I am trying to give www.domain.com it's own IP address aside from domain.com and cpanel isn't letting me.

4. xyber13

xyber13 Well-Known Member

Each is a different acc

Hi Jaytek13,

Is each of them the same account or two separate accounts? Because as far as i know, you can only assign ONE IP only per CPanel account. If you want, you will have to create another CPanel user for the subdomain.

Rgrds,
    -Xyber13.

#4 xyber13, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008