The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Cert Install question ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shotdsherrif, May 14, 2009.

1. shotdsherrif

shotdsherrif Registered

May 4, 2009
    I've taken over as admin for a site run on cpanel and still figuring some things out. I'm not a server guy but our current host is not available and I need to make sure I installed our renewed SSL certs correctly before they're set to expire in about a week ...

So ... I downloaded the two certs ... one .crt for the domain and on root bundle named gd.bundle.crt. ... from there I went to:

CPanel => SSL/TLS Manager => Certificates (CRT) - where I uploaded both the new domain crt and the new version of the bundle.crt.

The Expire date on the domain crt is now showing as it being renewed for one year - and not expiring next week.

From there I went to Activate SSL on Your Web Site (HTTPS) - selected the domain from the drop down and the Cert, KEY and Bundle all populated in the 3 boxes. From there I clicked Install Certificate and was told the new certificates were installed.

What I DID NOT do is install a new RSA Key or do anything in the CSR Window. My question is if I needed to install a new RSA Key along with the fresh crts or if I can rest easy ...

I'm new to doing backend server admin stuff and cpanel seems user-friendly. The support on this forum has also been helpful. So please let me know if I missed anything. Or where in cpanel I can go to make sure ... thx in advance.
  2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2001
    When installing the .crt file and matching bundle, cPanel will typically go out and find the private key file for you. To see if it found the key, navigate to the site and use your browser to check the certificate. If you do not get any warnings and the certificate shows as issued by the organization you bought it from, you are ok. If it shows as self-signed, you will need to reinstall with the private key.