The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL cert not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sp3ctre69, May 11, 2011.

1. sp3ctre69

sp3ctre69 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have just deployed a new server and given it a GoDaddy SSL certificate. However, when I go to <domain>:2087 I get an untrusted certificate error. When I check the domain on a checker site it verifies the cerificiate is there, but my browser seems not to see it (even cleared the cache)..

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The cPanel/WHM/Webmail services are not on the Apache port (port 443), so if you installed the SSL in SSL/TLS area, that would only cover Apache. To install the certificate to cover port 2087, you would need to install it in WHM > Manage Service SSL Certificates area for the cPanel/WHM/Webmail services.

Please note that only one SSL certificate can be installed for those services in Manage Service SSL Certificates area.

3. sp3ctre69

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have added the certificate into the "Manage Service SSL" section and they accepted ok and are green, with an expiration 2 years from now. I have been through this process with others servers and it worked ok, only this time the browser seems not to see it.

Sorry, can you clarify the ast sentence, I am not sure what you mean?

Thanks

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The last sentence means that only one domain can be covered by the service SSL certificate (some people believe that they can install an SSL for cPanel/WHM/Webmail for every domain with an SSL on the machine, but only one domain can have the service SSL certificate and that is normally the server's hostname).

I would suggest restarting cPanel in root SSH in case it didn't get restarted and that caused the issue:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/cpanel restart
    If that still doesn't work, please provide the url link so we can see whether we are likewise getting an untrusted warning on the SSL. It might be caching on your system for why it isn't showing up.

5. sp3ctre69

mmm, the restart worked... strange, I don't remember having to do that before. Is it supposed to be done manually, as I have never seen it in the instructions?

Thanks

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It should not need to be done manually and should be restarted on SSL installation in WHM > Manage Service SSL Certificates area.

7. sp3ctre69

oh wel, it's working now, that's the main thing... one more question if I may... Earlier when I tried to access webmail from work (behind firewall) it tried to redirect to the SSL port and the browser failed due to the firewall problem. On my other server I get a nice screen saying "detecting browser". Both servers "tweak settings > redirect" are set to the same, but I cant work out why I dont get the "detecting browser" screen on the new server. Any ideas?

Thanks

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't personally have any ideas for why that would happen unless you have differences in some of the other Tweak Settings. Can you do a diff on the Tweak Settings for both machines by copying the /var/cpanel/cpanel.config file from one machine to the other calling it /var/cpanel/cpanel.config.othermachine?

Code:
    diff /var/cpanel/cpanel.config /var/cpanel/cpanel.config.othermachine