SSL certificate for a CNAME subdomain

vexx

May 1, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I'm using a CDN service and I decided to map it to a subdomain of my domain. I added the CNAME entry but I cannot purchase and install a SSL certificate on that subdomain.

Basically the CNAME is cdn.mysite.com to cdn.mycdnprovider.com

When I try to purchase a SSL certificate for my "cdn" subdomain (I created one manually since cPanel can't see it), it tells me " A DNS (Domain Name System) or web server misconfiguration may exist. The domain “cdn.mysite.com” resolved to an IP address “x.x.x.x” that does not exist on this server. DNS-based DCV also failed. "

I'm now sure what to do and resolve this, if I don't add a certificate I cannot use cdn.mysite.com.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
You'd have to create the sub-domain via cPanel for cPanel to 'know' about the sub-domain and map it to a folder for Apache.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Because you've redirected it to your CDN you'd need to create the SSL where the domain resolves to - so you'd create it at your CDN provider (pending they allow that) cdn.mysite.com is just a CNAME and wouldn't actually get an SSL via autossl because it doesn't actually resolve to the server.