Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SSL certificate on an add-on domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nsdesign, Jun 11, 2007.

1. nsdesign

nsdesign Active Member

Quick question (before I actually try and do this!!)...

Can I install an SSL certificate on an add-on domain?

If yes - is it just setup and installed as normal (generate the CSR via whm for www.addondomain.com etc).

Also - do I need to give the add-on (therefore the main primary domain too) it's own unique dedicated IP address?

And lastly - will doing this (assumming it can be done), give any problems later on if/when we need to setup a SSL cert on the primary domain as well?

Thanks for any pointers

Gary

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've installed an SSL for a subdomain, I can't imagine an addon would be any different. And yes, th addon/subdomain will need it's own IP.

I created the subdomain as a new user in WHM, giving it it's own username, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nsdesign

nsdesign Active Member

But the point of "add-on" domains, is that the user doesn't need a seperate CPanel login etc for them - nor do I want (ideally) to give him a seperate cpanel account for this required domain which needs ssl.

The domain is already setup as an add-on - managed via his primary account's cpanel. How do I go about setting up this domain with it's own IP address? Manually edit the apache config file?

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

4. MaraBlue

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So don't give him the new login info.

I've done this with a subdomain. You have to set up a new user account in WHM in order to apply the SSL to the subdomain, as it has to be on it's own IP. The only other way I know to do this is to install a wildcard SSL for his entire domain, in which case you would need to change the IP for the domain. That (changing the IP) can be done through WHM.

#4 MaraBlue, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  5. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I also hunted for a definitive answer for ages. Everyone I asked seem to doge the issue. The answer is yes you can.

We have done it may times. Give the main account (and therefore the add-on) a dedicated IP and install the CERT on add-on.com, just as you would domain.com. The only negative is that you cannot also have a [different] CERT on the main domain as well.

6. MaraBlue

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That was what I told him a few posts ago, that it could be as long as the entire domain had a dedicated IP.

7. nsdesign

nsdesign Active Member

Many thanks Guys.

Gary

8. ravibagul

ravibagul Member

Addon -SSL

Hello,

I have successfully installed ssl for addon domain just by editing httpd.conf and assigned dedicated IP and same in named database file and its works :)

Thanks.