The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Certs where to install .pem file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mobcdi, Oct 13, 2010.

1. mobcdi

mobcdi Well-Known Member

I requested an SSL cert for my whm host server via a 3rd party (I'm not authorised to submit requestes directly to the CA). I got a .pem file back but not sure what to do with it now

I used the ssl/tsl feature on whm to create the necessary request but the install cert looks for a .crt fiile

Any advice most welcome

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Main >> SSL/TLS >> Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain

When you generated a CSR in the WebHost Manager, a key was also generated. The .pem file may contain the certificate, though normally that extension is used for a public key. The file should be plain text, so you can open it and view its contents to see what it includes.

Click Main >> SSL/TLS >> Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain, and paste in the certificate and the key that was generated when you generated the CSR. The domain, user and IP address should be detected automatically.

If you need assistance, you are welcome to submit a ticket, and we will be happy to assist you and discuss your particular situation in greater detail than is possible in a public forum.

4. mobcdi

mobcdi Well-Known Member

Thanks infopro & cPanelJared,

I learned alot from just your 2 posts. Didn't realise there was another location besides ssl/tsl for certs (Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates)

I also opened the .pem file and pasted the entire contents into the location for the .cert file, that automatically filled in the key and domain value values and hit submit.

That caused an auto service shutdown which was a bit of a shock but not the end of the world. My cPanel/WHM/Webmail Service now has the correct SSL cert and applied it to the other services as i type.

Thanks to you both

5. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are very welcome!

That's great! I am glad that we were able to help you.

I actually did not realize from your initial post that you were trying to install the certificate for cPanel and other services, not for your Web site. Just to make sure that this is as clear as possible, Main >> SSL/TLS >> Install a SSL Certificate is for installing certificates that Apache will use for your Web sites. This only affects your Web sites themselves, no other services. Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates is for installing certificates to be used for mail, FTP, cPanel, etc.

Again, I am glad we were able to help. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.