The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL CSR blank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesSmith, May 11, 2004.

1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

Trying to generate a CSR key for a domain, which needs SSL. The web site has been assigned the IP address successfully.

I go to:

SSL/TLS Menu > Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request

Enter ALL information correctly, being in the UK for the 2-letter country code, tried both UK and GB. Now, the CSR is blank. The e-mail which is received is blank for the CSR, there’s nothing for the CSR in the manager section.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Same problem here. Started after the 9.3 updates. SSL appear broken in these releases and we've one customer ticked at the moment.

Opening a support ticket.

3. deborahgsmith

deborahgsmith Member

What ever happened to this? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Deborah

4. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

The problem for us is that the email address used in the CSR generation exceeded the maximum permitted length of 40 bytes.

5. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

Hi,

Problem was caused as we upgraded the OpenSSL version, for what ever reason that wasnt 100% compat with generating a CSR key within WHM.

So we had to do it manually. To do this:

To generate the private key:

openssl genrsa -des3 -out www.domain.com.key 1024

And the CSR:

openssl req -config /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf -new -key www.domain.com.key -out www.domain.com.csr

Replace openssl.cnf with your primary openssl config.

These are specifically for a Thawte certificate. I assume there petty much the same for any others.

6. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I'm still having the error that was posted above in WHM. I tried following the steps that were posted on manually generating the CSR and it appears to have worked correctly. When i view the CSR in WHM and copy and paste (no spaces before or after the -----s) it into GeoTrust's order form, the following error appears:

Error from supplier: CSR Invalid CN - Invalid characters; CSR Invalid CN - Does not contain at least one period; ;

Does anybody know what the problem is?

7. astridas

astridas Member

I've been having blank csr problems for a while. Don't know if this truly applys to this thread but imma post it here. I have been messing with it off an on for a couple of months now and just tonight finally got it to work. Im on freebsd 4.9. I upgraded openssl from 0.9.7d_1 to 0.9.7e. I don't have an openssl-overwrite-base anymore either. I had to force removal of that package. The previous experience i had with that is everything broke. so i do recommend being careful. This may or may not help you. Hope it does tho.