The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL delete old, install new

Discussion in 'Security' started by davendsn, Jan 16, 2011.

1. davendsn

davendsn Registered

Jan 16, 2011
    I've taken over as the web manager for a site that was already set up with a previous SSL that has now expired. I've purchased a new one for the client, however, I can't seem to delete the old one from the current server, neither in WHM or cPanel. In WHM under the SSL Key/Crt Manager, I keep getting the error:

ERROR: File is still referenced in Apache:

when I try to delete it. And it just won't even delete from the SSL/TLS Manager in cPanel. How can I get rid of this old SSL so I can generate the CSR and install the new one. If it helps, both were purchased through GoDaddy, but through different accounts. Also, if it's not something that can be done through the WHM or cPanel interface, I'll be completely lost (unless I can go into an specific file and edit it that way. I'm just not command-line savvy. FYI).

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello davendsn,

You should still be able to generate a new CSR even with the old certificate on the domain. I wouldn't suggest removing the existing one until a new one has been created actually. As such, you could generate a new CSR in WHM > SSL/TLS > Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request area. Please ensure to save a copy of the RSA key that is sent for the CSR generation, then once you receive the new certificate, paste it and the new RSA key into the fields (if the RSA key doesn't show the one you have copied). This will replace the existing certificate with the new copy.

If you have any issues getting the new one to install or work, please open a ticket using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature.