The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Error and Cannot Be Used Server-wide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enahs, Apr 1, 2013.

1. enahs

enahs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have a situation where a cPanel VPS we rent has suddenly stopped working from an SSL stance. No changes were made over the weekend and SSL has been working for ever since first setup (over a year ago). It is specifically critical for one client. They have a website where purchases are made via SSL. Their website has a legit 3rd party SSL certificate installed and their own IP address (it is not sharing the IP with any other website on the server). This website has been working without any issues for over a year now. The SSL certificate has not expired but it doesn't seem to be with this site specifically anyway.

The error received is as follows:

In Firefox it states:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to removed_domain_for_privacy_reasons.com.
    SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
    (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

In both IE and Chrome it states:

Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): SSL protocol error.

I have searched all over the interwebs for a solution but none seem to be specific to our situation because there have not been any issues since this was setup over a year ago so SSL would seem to have been setup correctly.

The website is not sharing an IP address with any other site.

The server is answering on port 443 so it is not a port issue.

Until this morning the server had not been rebooted for over 3 months but I figured I would try rebooting to see if it would fix the issue...obviously it did not.

I called the VPS provider and they do not see any issues from their side.

Although no other sites on this VPS have a need to be accessible via SSL I did try simply adding https:// to other sites and I get the same error.

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it a possibility that the ssl has expired? Please pm me the domain name so I may check this further for you if you are interested.

3. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are sure that ssl is not expired then please try to reinstall ssl on domain. I hope reinstalling ssl should fix this error.

4. enahs

enahs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can't believe I have been working on this problem all day and simply re-installing the certificate fixed the problem. Thanks for the heads up. Why this would have needed to be done I have no idea. The cert doesn't expire until 2014 and everything has been running fine for a year now.