The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED SSL for all accounts

Discussion in 'Security' started by kjg, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

Hi all
    Been away for a while and not had the time to get into the new features until now.

I am trying to understand the new cPanel features for SSL such as AutoSSL, Let's Encrypt, Domain TLS.

If you could please help me understand if all these new features will help us solve the standard situation we have, I would really appreciate it.

A typical server we have contains 400 to 500 cpanel accounts with maybe 4-5 resellers having their own shared IP.
    Most accounts are on shared IP but some have dedicated IP's primarly for SSL/Certificate reasons.
    Each shared IP has no more than 100 cpanel accounts.
    For free cpanel AutoSSL I read there is a limit of "a maximum of 200 domains per website (Apache virtual host)".
    Not sure what exactly the "per website" means. Is it per server or per IP, or?

What we want is primarily that all cpanel accounts should have SSL on http but if it is possible to also have it on each cpanel accounts domain for email, that would be very nice.

Can someone please explain if this is possible with all these new features? And for free? (Yes, I am always suspicious when things are for free, and seems to good to be true ... )

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @kjg,

The following document is a good place to start to understand how the server handles domain names and Virual Hosts:

How Your Server Handles Domains and Virtual Hosts - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Once you review this document, browse over to:

Manage AutoSSL - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

The "Domain and rate limits" section explains the current limitations. You should not encounter any issues with limitations on cPanel-signed certificates based on the information you provided, unless one of those cPanel accounts includes a very high number of aliases (Parked Domains) or subdomains. With Let's Encrypt, it's the same, except there is a maximum of 20 certificates issued per week that contain a domain or its subdomains. If you include subdomains of a domain on more than 20 certificates, Let's Encrypt will issue those during the next window, up to the limit for that week.

Yes, this functionality is enabled by default as part of the Domain TLS feature:

What is Domain TLS - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

There's no charge for SSL certificates generated through the AutoSSL feature (either with cPanel-signed certificates (Comodo) or Let's Encrypt).

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

linux4me2 likes this.
  3. kjg

kjg Well-Known Member

Hi Michael
    Thank you for your reply.

Will activate AutoSSL and Domain TLS on one of our servers with few accounts to see that it works as we expect, but from your reply it seems it does. Really nice features added by cPanel. Thank you

cPanelMichael likes this.