Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED SSL for domain but NOT for service subdomains?

Discussion in 'Security' started by electric, Nov 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Hello,

We have a customer who wants to install their own certificate on "(www.)domain.com"... but they do NOT want the certificate to include the mail/webmail/cpanel/webdisk and other service subdomains.

How can we do that? After installation of the certificate, when we go into the AutoSSL page in cpanel, it shows this for all the service subdomains:

--------------
    The installed certificate does not cover this domain. The certificate will not renew via AutoSSL because it was not issued via AutoSSL.
    ---------------

There is no option in the drop-down selection box to select ONLY the domain and "www" subdomain when installing the certificate.

Any ideas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. electric

Hello, I'm not seeing this ability in the cpanel. We're running v74.0.10. Is this ability only in v76.x?

What I see in the "SSL/TLS Status" page is a listing of the domains and "Certificate Status" column. In that column, the two hostnames included in the certificate are:

However, all the other hostnames have:

On the far left column there is no checkbox for any of the hostnames. So it's impossible to enabled/disable AutoSSL for any of them.

Any ideas?

4. electric

To make it more clear, here is a screenshot of what I am seeing. Notice there are no checkboxes on the left column. (Which means the "include/exclude" function can't be used... since those blue buttons are not activated since I can't select any hostnames to include/exclude.)

imgur.com/a/jU0D9tZ

#4 electric, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018
  5. electric

I also tried removing the customer's ssl certificate from two (www.)domain.com hostnames. Then I enabled autossl for all domains, and that worked as expected. So then I tried installing the customer's ssl certificate again.. but once again... it is impossible to ONLY choose the two (www.)domain.com hostnames. The cpanel cert installer automatically installs the customer's ssl certificate only EVERY hostname in their entire cpanel account.. which removes the autossl certs previously installed.

Any idea how we can make this work?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @electric,

Can you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here and we'll link it to this thread.

Thank you.

7. electric

cPanel ticket ID is "10727521 - AutoSSL For Subdomains

8. electric

For anyone who is having the same problem, and wondering if it's possible to have your own SSL certificate AND the cpanel AutoSSL certificate... You can't.

Here is the official response from cpanel support:

cPanelMichael likes this.