The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL for server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilan, May 16, 2005.

1. ilan

ilan Member

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

3. ilan

ilan Member

tried

I have went to go daddy and purchased a crt for server.myserver.com

However I cannot find where / how to install it as a shared server or general ssl certificate for https://server.myserver.com

I have read the docs and could not find anything.

i have created a crt for server.myserver.com from the whm, pasted it in godaddy certificate request, everything wtnt fine, but now how do i actually install the certificate they gave me for server.myserver.com

Thanks,
    Ilan

4. ccccanada

ccccanada Well-Known Member

Its also in WHM under the link "Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain"

5. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

If you ordered the certificate for secure.server.com you must set up an account in WHM with secure.server.com as the domain name it must have a dedicated IP address.

When you install it use secure.server.com as the host name.

Certificates from godaddy are chained certificates so do not forget to install the CA bundle as well when you install the certificate (it goes in the bottom box)

If you have enabled mod_userdir protection under Tweak Security then you must Exclude secure.server.com from this so users can view their sites using https://secure.server.com/~accountname/

Thats it you have shared SSL, be aware that any traffic used will be counted against secure.server.com not the individuals account.

6. ilan

ilan Member

7. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Sorry misread your original post.

In that case you can't do it! (well really you can but it is not worth doing)

server.myserver.com is used by cpanel as well as the dns information for your server if you try and hack the system to use it with a different SSL certificate and use it for another purpose you run the risk of stuffing things up entirely.

The server name shoud be completely stand alone and is only to be used for the configuration of the server. It already has stunnel set up on it and cpanel runs its own webserver on that name even if apache fails you can still access cpanel/whm.

If you are a very competent Linux admin then you can get all this to work as it requires you to replace the existing self signed certificate issued issued by WHM and make changes to httpd.conf. Next time you update cPanel this could get all overwritten.

As for the rest of us mere mortals its easier to do it the way I suggested previously.

8. Kerstin

Kerstin Well-Known Member

I misread the original post too. ;)

Own created SSL certicates are only for conneting
    your computer secure with the server that you connect
    and nobody can read the information which you have sended.