The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL for SMTP

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nerdzoll, Nov 9, 2004.

1. nerdzoll

nerdzoll Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    I have an SSL cert for my domain www.mydomain.com (which of course has it's own dedicated IP address). I would like to offer SSL for SMTP, however as the SSL cert is only for www.mydomain.com, it will not work for mail.mydomain.com, so I am wondering is it possible to have the smtp, pop and Imap server running as www.mydomain.com (while still running everything else as standard) or would this cause problems (and how would I do it)...
    If not is it possible to set up the mail.mydomain.com to use a seperate IP address and therefore buy another certificate just for it?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Nerdzoll

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Exim, be default, listens on all of your IP addresses. If you want to use an SSL certificate with Exim, then you should just connect using the domain that the certificate is for. You should add the certificate details to your /etc/exim.key and /etc/exim.crt files and then restart and connect to port 465 instead of 25.

3. nerdzoll

nerdzoll Well-Known Member

soooo... just to confirm i could create a new account with domain secmail.nerdzunleashed.com and then point my clients to use this as the SMTP server... (also how would i go about doing this... as nerdzunleashed.com is my main domain name how can i create another account on another IP)...
    also seeing as I am new to this how do i add the cert to the exim files???
    Cheers
    Nerdzoll

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When you create a new account you should be able to assign a unique IP address to it if you have one spare.

If you don't know how to use SSH and command line editors, then you could use SFTP to login to your server securely as root and then edit those two files and add the appropriate parts of the certificate. A good free SFTP client would be:
    http://filezilla.sf.net

5. blenard

blenard Active Member

What if ....

Let's say you had domain 1 and domain 2.

How would you tell Exim this crt is for domain 1 and that crt is for domain 2? :confused:

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

AFAIK, you can't with the normal cPanel setup. Only one certificate per exim installation. I'd have to check over at exim.org, but I guess it might be possible to have one certificate per IP address if configured in an appropriate way.