The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL for specific services, which the user accesses using his own domain nam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by martinezpt, Oct 3, 2012.

1. martinezpt

martinezpt Registered

May 24, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

After spending a few hours reading posts and articles, I still have questions about SSL for specific services (IMAP, POP, SMTP, HTTP).

I've installed SSL services for HTTP before and that's relatively peaceful.

Now I have a client that wishes to buy a certificate (single domain or wildcard) that he can use with all the relevant services (IMAP, POP, SMTP), to avoid the "unknown certificate" error thrown by email clients.
    All the email users have their clients configured using their own domain names (not the server wide domain name).
    Some may have used "" as well as "" (that's one of the reasons why the wildcard certificate being considered)

What we know:
    • The client is willing to purchase a single domain or wildcard certificate
    • The client wants to keep configuring email clients using his own domain
    • The client doesn't have a dedicated IP address, but we can easily assign him one if required

What I'm assuming (possibly mistakenly) based on what I've read:
    • "Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates" is used to manage the certificates for each service, but only for the server wide domain
    • A certificate for the server wide domain, if installed for a specific service, is only accepted by the email client if he configures it using the server wide domain name, not his own
    • A certificate installed on the user's cPanel will only be applied to HTTP

What I'm interested in:
    • How can I help the client use SSL without certificate warnings and still keep his own domain name in the configuration of the email clients

Thanks for your help
    #1 martinezpt, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: SSL for specific services, which the user accesses using his own domain

Hello :)

The type of configuration you are seeking is not available with cPanel at this time. This has been discussed on the following thread:

SSL Certificate Per-Domain Services

Thank you.