The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL for subdmains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by difepape, Jun 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. difepape

difepape Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael, the certificate is only being applied by the domain, but not subdomains (and the trustwave we have the 2 subdomains created and the Cpanel too) both subdomains call the WHM certificate, could you help to know how can solve the issue please?

Thanks

Fernando

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I've moved this post to a new thread, as it no longer relates to the original issue. Could you let us know the type of certificate you have installed, how you installed it, and how you are expecting it to function?

Thank you.

3. Jason Parms

Jason Parms Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    You are right that certificate can be issued on fully qualified domain name. In your case, I assume that you want to secure three different websites…
    • example.com
    • sub1.example.com
    • sub2.example.com
    If I am guessing right, you have two choices.

1. You need to purchase three individual certificates for all of them and requesting certificate for particular domain name. As per scenario, you need to manage three certificates their installation, expiry and renewals that cost can be high.
    2. If you obtained Wildcard SSL certificate; you should ensure to add (*) asterisk just before the common name such *.yoursite.com. It can protect your main website and its all subdomains with a single certificate. It will reduce hassle and save money from management of multiple certificates.

You should clarify which SSL certificate you purchased and common name of the certificate. In above answer I am trying to provide best possible solution to your issue.

#3 Jason Parms, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016