Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL for Wildcard Subdomains

Discussion in 'Security' started by Varial, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Varial

Varial Member

I'm aware that AutoSSL does not support wildcard subdomains.

If I was to purchase a wildcard SSL certificate and install it on a wildcard subdomain entry, would it work and secure all the dynamically generated subdomains?

I'm just hoping to get confirmation that a wildcard SSL certificate and cPanel's implementation of wildcard subdomains will work before selling my client the certificate.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. Varial

Varial Member

In that thread you wrote:

My client has *.domain.com defined as a wildcard subdomain that is pointed to public_html so the subdomains are associated with a single location. Their code handles the content changes depending on if sub1.domain.com or sub2.domain.com is visited.

I'm hoping for confirmation that in this case if they were to install a wildcard SSL certificate that sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com would be secured by the certificate installed at *.domain.com, without needing to install the certificate separately for the subdomains, since they are dynamically generated and not defined in cPanel/Apache aside from the wildcard *.domain.com subdomain?

Would this work?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @Varial,

To update, here's part of the response from one of our Technical Analysts in your corresponding support ticket:

Thank you.