The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bradandersen, Dec 10, 2003.

1. bradandersen

bradandersen Active Member

Okay, so all of the threads indicate that you MUST use a dedicated IP address for each SSL secured host. If this is the case then how do hundreds of web-hosting providers (e.g. www.powweb.com) and the ENSIM control panel (www.ensim.com) get around it and offer SSL to each of their shared IP domains?

cPanel is the most incredible control panel I have ever used, but this SSL issue just seems off when so many other systems offer SSL.

Can you incorporate an untrusted certificate for all shared domains and offer a trusted certificate for domains that have a dedicated IP address. If I need to give each of my domains a dedicated IP address in order to offer them secure web then I will simply run out of IP addresses.

Thanks,
    Brad

#1 bradandersen, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  2. ckizer

ckizer Well-Known Member

Brad:

They let you post through their SSL certificate. For example if your hosted on shared IP with powweb and your site is bob.com

https://ipowweb.com/~bob.com/index.html would post through them since it is using their SSL certificate. You can do the same thing on cpanel.