The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Help - RackShack does not accept my CSR (What's wrong?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jdan6@2003, Sep 5, 2003.

1. jdan6@2003

jdan6@2003 Active Member

Hello,

I generated a CSR from WHM and copied and pasted it to RackShack's SSL order form. However, I always got an error messge:

--------------------
    ERROR!!
    , CSR, 0, Field ''CSR'' is invalid
    Please Re-enter.
    --------------------

I think I did it right to generate the CSR. I clicked the "Generate SSL Certificate and Signing Request" and entered:

My email to receive cert;
    Host: (I tried both "domain.com" and "secure.domain.com")
    State: IL
    City: Chicago
    Company: mydomain
    Division: hosting
    Email: hostmaster@mydomain.com
    Password: apassword

Then I got a private Key and CSR. I copied the CSR to the Notepad and removed the hard returnes, and pasted it to the CSR box in SSL Order form on RackShack website. I did include "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
    -----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----".

Can anybody tell me what is wrong? Why RackShack SSL order from always rejects my CSR?

Not sure if you already charged.

Thanks for your help.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 jdan6@2003, Sep 5, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  2. jdan6@2003

jdan6@2003 Active Member

When generating CSR from WHM, should I enter "domain.com" or "secure.domain.com" for (Host to make cert for)?

I intend to have:
    https://secure.domain.com

Thanks.

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

host = secure.domain.com

If you mean you removed the hard returns to make the csr be 1 solid line, that would mess it up. It's supposed to be multiple lines. Just copy from WHM and paste to Rackshack as is.

4. jdan6@2003

jdan6@2003 Active Member

I tried it again as you indicated. Still got the same error. RackShack does not accept my CSR.

They may have charged me multiple times without sending me the certificate. I am a little afraid to try again.

My domain has a hyphen "-" (i.e. "server01.a-z.com"). Will that cause the problem?

I have the server's hostname "server01.a-z.com" as the domain (i.e. the host).

Please advice.
    Thanks.

5. PWSowner

Hyphens shouldn't cause a problem. As far as billing, do they take your credit card info each time before telling you it won't work? They shouldn't bill you until the certificate is actually ordered, but I don't use Rackshack so I'm not sure how it works.

Is your server what you want the certificate for?

If you want https://secure.a-z.com to be secure, you need a certificate for secure.a-z.com. Also, if you generate a CSR for secure.a-z.com, I think secure.a-z.com has to exist first as a subdomain.

6. jdan6@2003

jdan6@2003 Active Member

I believe that is a problem with RackShack's order form. I have tested my CSR on InstantSSL and Thawte's free certificates. Both took my CSR without a problem. But RackShack does not take it although I tried nemours times.

It requires me credit card information and allows me to try several times. After I tried about 10 times, it asked for credit card information again. So they may have charged me at least two times most likely.

It is too bad if it is their system's problem and they do not provide any support and do not refund. They just eat the money without sending out anything.

#6 jdan6@2003, Sep 5, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  7. PWSowner

If the CSR was accepted by the others, it has to be a problem with the Rackshack scripts. You should contact them about it to get it fixed and make sure they don't bill you.

8. jdan6@2003

jdan6@2003 Active Member

Forget about RackShack - pay less, cost more. I am going to go ahead buy InstantSSL.

Thanks.

#8 jdan6@2003, Sep 5, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  9. PWSowner

Good choice. That's where I buy them. ;) The price is competitive, and if you have trouble, like when I installed my first one, they help.

10. casey

casey Well-Known Member

I can't recommend them at all. Not only do they employ SPAM (http://www.whichssl.org/content/comodo_spam.html) as a marketing tool, they took over a week to issue a certificate and would not answer any e-mails regarding the issue. I then told them to cancel the order but still got no reply. After waiting another 2 days for a response, I contacted their credit card processor and threatened a charge-back. Only then could I even get my money back for a certificate they would not issue and would not say why they would not issue it. I got my money back, but still did not get a reply from them. There's also some question about their stability.(http://www.whichssl.org/content/baltimore_sale.html)

I'd go with www.freessl.com. They are very professional and lightning fast. Their support is very quick, too.

#10 casey, Sep 6, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  11. PWSowner

Interesting. I always did believe there had to be drawbacks to lower prices. I'm going to have to do some investigating and deciding because I've been planning to open a reseller account with them. I've never had any trouble with them though, and I bought my first certificate over a year ago now.

As far as the trouble you had, I don't know what the problem was. I ordered a certificate for my registered business name and sent a scan of my registration and drivers license and got my certificate with no problem.