The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Install Results in Blank Page; No SSL Cert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phylum, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Phylum

Phylum Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    An SSL cert expired, so I renewed via GoDaddy, downloaded the new cert & tried to install but after clicking 'Submit' the [inner] frame changes (where the SSL form fields used to be) but the SSL cert doesn't actually get installed. I can let it sit there for a while, but there's no 'wait' cursor & as far as the browser is concerned, no data is being transmitted or waiting to be received.

Thinking I had a bad cert or bad data during CSR creation, I generated a new CSR today, then went back to GoDaddy to re-key the cert. Once it was available I re-downloaded it but I get the same problem.

When I go through the "Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request" process in WHM, I'm left with three long strings:
    Signing Request
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----​

-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----​

Presumably when requesting the SSL cert (or re-keying an existing one) GoDaddy wants the data from the 'Signing Request' field (hence the 'BEGIN' & 'END CERTIFICATE REQUEST') but maybe I'm wrong....?

Once I get the cert files from GoDaddy (gd_bundle.crt & domain.tld.crt) I hop back into WHM & try to install it.
    1. I open the domain.tld.crt file (in Notepad++), copy the text & paste it into the first field.
    2. When I click anywhere outside of that box (be it the domain field, or the next field for the .KEY file) or hit 'TAB', the page pauses, 'fetches' data & autopopulates the rest of the fields.
    3. The domain, user & IP fields are correct but presumably the .KEY and bundle data is wrong so I delete that data & paste the current data.
    4. The Key into the second large box
    5. The contents of the gd_bundle.crt file (Opened with Notepad++ of course) go into the last box
    6. I click submit at the top
    7. The left most frame containing the menu remains & is fully functional.
    8. The top frame containing 'Home News Change Log...' etc remains as well
    9. The inner frame, containing what was once the form, is blank.
    10. Doesn't matter how long I wait

I tried a few different things like...
    1. Leaving all the autopopulated data as is once I pasted the domain.tld.crt into the first field.
    2. Pasting Signing Request and Certificate data into the second large field
    3. Pasting various combinations of data into the fields
    But that doesn't work. It either results in the same 'blank' page after I click submit, or I get errors like
    • Code:
      SSL install aborted due to error: Failed to extract key modulus. Key is invalid: unable to load Private Key 12615:error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:647:Expecting: ANY PRIVATE KEY 
    • Code:
      SSL install aborted due to error: Not a valid certificate bundle

I'm not sure what to do next. I've reached out to GoDaddy for help, but I fear they're going to say 'Its cPanel, let them deal with it.' so I figured I'd post here.
    Can someone perhaps help point out what I might be doing wrong?
    #1 Phylum, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you submit a ticket so we can take a closer look? You can use the following URL to open a ticket:

Submit A Ticket

Please post the ticket number here and we will track the issue for you.

Thank you.