Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SSL Installation Error / Mod_Security tripping?

Discussion in 'Security' started by AbsoluteZero, Oct 15, 2009.

1. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Member

Hi everyone,

I've got a new server with a clean WHM installation and am getting a strange situation where I just can't get a SSL certificate on the server's root domain to install properly. I get the ubiquitious "ssl_error_rx_record_too_long" error when going to the server root (ie: https://my.server.com) instead of the default "Great Success !" page.

The usual fixes for this suggested in the many other threads about SSL errors (uninstalling / reinstalling / re-keying certificates, cleaning out old certs and keys, rebooting apache) haven't helped. I've installed SSL on other servers with no issues (albeit without mod_security enabled) so I'm relatively comfortable I'm not terribly botching things up on that front.

In looking into my Apache error logs I'm generating the following error:

Code:
    [Thu Oct 15 13:35:55 2009] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 501 (phase 2). Match of "rx ^((?:(?:POS|GE)T|OPTIONS|HEAD))$" against "REQUEST_METHOD" required. [file "/usr/local/apache/conf/modsec2.user.conf"] [line "38"] [id "960032"] [msg "Method is not allowed by policy"] [severity "CRITICAL"] [tag "POLICY/METHOD_NOT_ALLOWED"] [hostname "xx.xx.xx"] [uri "/"] [unique_id "Stdri0xK@AsAADXPHYkAAAAB"]
    I'm not particularly strong on Mod_Security, but would this suggest a Mod_Security rule is triggering?

Any suggestions - or help parsing the error would be very much appreciated as I've been beating my head on this for a couple of days now and I'm running out of permutations and combinations to Google!

2. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Member

Just a quick addendum - I think this is a pure Mod_Security issue. Even with no SSL certificates on the system, trying to access the domain using https:// triggers the error.