The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL on WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MantisComp, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MantisComp

MantisComp Active Member

I want a valid cert on admin pages.

I know this has been talked about elsewhere on here but I cannot find a full guide.
    I have been using Plesk and to create a SSL cert for the admin panel you first have to generate a CRT, then use that CRT to get a cert from eNom which is then installed into Plesk.

How is it done in WHM as I cannot find how I generate a CRT first?
    Thanks

2. markb14391

markb14391 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I assume you are talking about a purchased SSL? It's actually very easy.

Log into the cPanel account of the domain you want to install the cert on. Go into Security > SSL/TLS Manager. There you can create a key, signing request, etc. Send that to the SSL provider, then follow the menu items to install the cert. I've heard varying stories about people succeeding with doing the actual installation in cPanel (or not), so I install the actual cert in WHM. Once you get into the steps for that, it's pretty self-explanatory. For example, paste the cert in (including the entire ====BEGIN CERTIFICATE==== and ====END CERTIFICATE==== or similar text) and go from there.

One possible gotcha...make sure to follow any instructions you get from the SSL provider, because different kinds work differently. RapidSSL is a straightforward installation, but SBS Instant certs also require that you paste their "bundle" into the third text area on the SSL installation page in WHM. They provide the bundle, and it only takes a few seconds, but the cert won't work in many cases without that bundle.

Trust me, once you get in and do this a time or two it's really not hard. Also, eNom has very good prices (if you're a reseller) on the SBS Instant and RapidSSL.

3. MantisComp

MantisComp Active Member

Thanks for that.
    Yes I am meaning a purchased cert and I am a Enom ressler.

I am logging into the main system and that is what I need a cert for.

I can't see a way of creating a new key in the area you mention, just some stuff about 'makefile', 'make-dummy-cert' etc.

4. markb14391

markb14391 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Go into cPanel (not WHM) for the desired domain.

Go into the SSL/TLS Manager.

There is the option to generate a key (or manage existing keys).

Under that is the option to generate or manage signing requests.

Just make sure you've created a key for the domain before doing anything else, then generate the signing request and enter it into the appropriate place in the SSL configuration screen that appears after you order the SSL.

Hope this helps.

Mark

5. MantisComp

MantisComp Active Member

Hi
    I have attached a scrn shot of my SSL Manager as per your post and there is nothing about creating a new cert.
    Are we using different versions?

Attached Files:

6. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member