The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL Problem!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirbrent, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sirbrent

sirbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008

I am experiencing a problem with SSL in WHM. I am running the latest RELEASE version. My server is fairly vanilla and, beyond some basic settings, I havent made many changes at all.

I am trying to install a test certificate from FreeSSL (30day trial) to the cPanel/WHM/Webmail Service (Under "Manage Service SSL Certificates" screen").

My servers hostname is

I was told, after asking about about securing cpanel and webmail on this forum, that i should use the hostname for creating the certificate, and install it as I said above (in the "Manage Service SSL Certificates" screen).

However, whenever I attempt to navigate to or the page will not load (or even to safari and IE do nothing at all, telling me that the page doesn't exist (and to check my internet connection). Firefox gives me the fallowing error message:

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
    (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
    I would greatly appreciate some help in this matter.
    Thanks for reading this message!
  2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2003
    La Crosse, WI
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You first have to go under SSL/TLS in WHM and "Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request". Then, you have to go into "Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain". Once all that is done, only then can you go into "Manage Service SSL Certificates".

I don't know why you are bothering with a 30 day free trial, where you are going to have to re-do this all over again. Just buy a certificate, as you need it, to provide a normal level of service for your customers. Certificates are not that expensive ($10 to $50 per year, depending on where you go)

- Scott