The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL redirecting to cPanel Default page

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leighbrownfield, Feb 22, 2012.

1. leighbrownfield

leighbrownfield Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hey Guys,

I have been having this issue with my Wildcard subdomain, wondering if you could help :)

I have purchased a wildcard SSL for my cPanel/WHM VPS and have installed it as a shared certificate.
    This was done so i could use it for sub-domains on the server with the same domain as the wildcard.

I can see under the key/cert manager that the subdomain (billing.domain.com.au) is using the *.domain.com.au cert, but whenever i go to load the subdomain with the HTTPs prefix, it re-directs me to a cPanel default page.

I haven't worked too much with Wildcard SSL's but im hoping you might be able to help me out on this one?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's likely you will need to update the "Document Root" for the subdomain within the cPanel user data directory for the account. The following forum thread provides instructions on making this change:

SSL certs wildcard domains across different hosts

Thank you.

3. leighbrownfield

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Dear Michael,

Thanks for your reply!
    I have had a good read through on the thread, and completed exactly as instructed.
    Unfortunately i am still getting a cPanel default page (i have cleared my cache) :(

Doing a cert lookup it shows the SSL is now installed successfully, so it has worked.

But it is still directing me to the default page.

Appreciate your kind help :)

4. leighbrownfield

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I beleive i have resolved the issue of HTTPS redirecting to the cPanel Default page.

Following the post linked by CpanelMichael, did not resolve the issue for me. That was because i was following the post directly!!

There are a few more lines in the _SSL file i had to change in order for it to work.
    I have noted the changes below:
    Code:
    documentroot: /home/username/public_html [COLOR="#FF0000"]This needed to be changed to the correct user doc root[/COLOR]
    group: nobody [COLOR="#FF0000"]This need to be changed to the new user[/COLOR]
    hascgi: 1
    homedir: /usr/local/apache/htdocs [COLOR="#FF0000"]This will also need to be changed to the correct dir[/COLOR]
    ip: #
    owner: root
    phpopenbasedirprotect: 0
    port: 443
    serveradmin: webmaster@mydomainisgreat.com
    serveralias: "*.mydomainisgreat.com" [COLOR="#FF0000"]I changed this to the correct sub-domain[/COLOR]
    servername: "*.mydomainisgreat.com" [COLOR="#FF0000"]I also changed this to the correct subdomain[/COLOR]
    ssl: 1
    sslcacertificatefile: /usr/share/ssl/certs/*.mydomainisgreat.com.cabundle
    sslcertificatefile: /usr/share/ssl/certs/*.mydomainisgreat.com.crt
    sslcertificatekeyfile: /usr/share/ssl/private/*.mydomainisgreat.com.key
    sslengine: 'on' [COLOR="#FF0000"]The line is not my _SSL (Newer Version of cPanel)[/COLOR]
    usecanonicalname: 'Off'
    user: nobody [COLOR="#FF0000"]This will be changed to the user as well.[/COLOR]

Although i could see their were changes made to the serveralias and servername lines, they were not listed in the section of lines to change, therefore i didn't change them!!!

Regardless editing all the lines above along with a rebuildhttpdconf fixed my issue!

Thanks cPanel Support!

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator