The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL secure pop - outlook express

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamesbond, Nov 24, 2002.

1. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Hi,

I installed a instant ssl certificate through WHM, and when I use secure pop in outlook express I get the following warning.

&A Certificate chain processed correctly, but terminated in a root
    certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. &

I am not supposed to get this warning.

By the way, https works fine, expept for the &client authentication& window that pops up when connecting to port 2083 and 2087

I'm running : WHM 5.3.0 Cpanel 5.3.0-R56 RedHat 7.3

How to fix this server side?

2. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

From testing awhile ago it seemed that the server always used whatever certificate was setup for the whole server (the WHM/CPanel certificate) and not the one assigned to a particular domain. This was just for e-mail, the separate certificates still worked for connecting securely through a browser.

3. jamesbond

thaphantom,

it's an instantssl cert, I know it has something to do with the root cert not being trusted.
    Which shouldn't be the case with outlook express 6.

I had the same problems with port 2083 and 2087, that has been fixed in R56, maybe they forgot to look at secure pop :)

4. jamesbond

[quote:b19019aa0a][i:b19019aa0a]Originally posted by JustinK[/i:b19019aa0a]

From testing awhile ago it seemed that the server always used whatever certificate was setup for the whole server (the WHM/CPanel certificate) and not the one assigned to a particular domain. This was just for e-mail, the separate certificates still worked for connecting securely through a browser.[/quote:b19019aa0a]

Hi Justin,

Actually I'm using the server wide WHM/CPanel certificate in outlook express.
    I would like to provide this as a service to my customers as an option, using host.servername.com as secure pop server

It's probably due to the way WHM installs the cert, as I said they fixed the &trust warning& for port 2083/2087.

If there any other people with instantssl certs, could you try secure pop and see if you get the same warning?

5. jamesbond

secure pop works without any warnings now! :)

I had the wrong settings for the account I was checking because I somehow mixed up 2 accounts in my outlook express...

Sorry to bother with you with this.

6. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

What settings do you use (port and mailserver) for POP3 and SMTP for secure mail in the email client ?

Regards,
    Norman

7. jamesbond

[quote:85004660f3][i:85004660f3]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:85004660f3]
    What settings do you use (port and mailserver) for POP3 and SMTP for secure mail in the email client ?
    [/quote:85004660f3]

POP3 : port 995 and SMTP : port 465

Everything is working fine. The warnings I got were due to a mixup of 2 email accounts.

8. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if James Bond is your real name or not. I'm just assuming you're a 007 fan. ;) Sorry if I'm wrong.

Regards,
    Norman

9. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

[quote:aad4c01f1c][i:aad4c01f1c]Originally posted by jamesbond[/i:aad4c01f1c]

secure pop works without any warnings now! :)

I had the wrong settings for the account I was checking because I somehow mixed up 2 accounts in my outlook express...

Sorry to bother with you with this.
    [/quote:aad4c01f1c]

Can you tell us what you did? I get the warnings in outlook. Can you show us what you used in outlook express? Did you also setup a cert using stunnel?

10. jamesbond

[quote:8b147a551d]
    Can you tell us what you did? I get the warnings in outlook. Can you show us what you used in outlook express? Did you also setup a cert using stunnel?[/quote:8b147a551d]

I installed an InstantSSL cert for the server domain

All I did is enter the serverdomain for pop3 (port 995)and smtp (port 465)

That's it.

11. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

[quote:304a53c52d][i:304a53c52d]Originally posted by jamesbond[/i:304a53c52d]

[quote:304a53c52d]
    Can you tell us what you did? I get the warnings in outlook. Can you show us what you used in outlook express? Did you also setup a cert using stunnel?[/quote:304a53c52d]

I installed an InstantSSL cert for the server domain

All I did is enter the serverdomain for pop3 (port 995)and smtp (port 465)

That's it.
    [/quote:304a53c52d]

Yep worked it out after i posted. For incoming outgoing mailserver in Outlook one my pop the servers host eg host.mydomain.com instead of mail.yourdomain.com. Then stunnel is called via SSL