The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL server-side for email?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tone, May 27, 2013.

1. tone

tone Member

Hello,

Is it possible to use SSL for emails, for example when using IMAP have the user's account redirect to mail.hostname.told instead of mail.domainname.tld so that one SSL covers all mail accounts?

I have it set up so /cpanel and /whm redirects to the hostname so SSL is enabled for logins, but just curious about the mail side of things.

Thank you,

Piers

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can install SSL on your hostname for the service through WHM >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates
    But if you want to use SSL connection for the mail you will have to use your server hostname instead of mail.domainname.tld

Please check :Manage Service SSL Certificates

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

SSL certificates for your services such as Exim and POP/IMAP are handled via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates"

Typically, you would purchase a certificate for the hostname of the server, install the certificate using the above option for all services, and then advise your customers to use your server's hostname in their email client configuration.

Thank you.

4. tone

tone Member

I have installed and set up a SSL for the cPanel/WHM/Webmail Service and that works (although there is a 1 second screen where it mentions firewall ports before it redirects). It is currently possible to enable, or set, the auto mail settings to use the hostname instead of the domain?

Cheers,

Piers

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should also install the SSL certificate for your other services using that same option. Could you be more specific about which "auto mail settings" you are referring to? For example, are you referring to the automatic email client configuration links in cPanel, or another specific option?

Thank you.

6. tone

tone Member

Would that require a new SSL certificate? The one I have is for the hostname so I'm assuming the same one for mail should also work.

Sorry, with the "auto mail settings" I mean't autodiscovery used by applications such as Thunderbird etc. Is there an option to set that to use the hostname instead of the user domain.

Cheers,

Piers

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. It would not require a new certificate. You could use the same one that you are using for the hostname with cPanel/WHM.

2. You can choose the hostname that is used for the automatic discovery per the documentation at:

WHM - AutoDiscover

This option is available under the "Domains" tab in "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings":

"Host to publish in the SRV records for Outlook autodiscover support."

Thank you.

8. MACscr

MACscr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am running 11.36.1 and I do not see this option under Tweak settings. Right now it does look like its trying to use the servers hostname, but its trying to use some old cert from 2009. All my services are setup to use my wildcard commercial cert and have been working for years now. No idea why autodiscover is picking up something different.

#8 MACscr, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The feature I mentioned is only available in cPanel version 11.38. This is scheduled to be pushed to the "Release" build tier soon, but there is currently no specific time frame on that. You are welcome to switch to the "Current" build tier to take advantage of this feature, but keep in mind that this tier is not typically recommended for production servers.

Thank you.