The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL w/ rackshack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZachICU, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ZachICU

ZachICU Well-Known Member

Rackshack's page for SSL says no challenge password for CSR/Keys.

WHM wont generate a CSR/Key correctly without a challenge password.

Rackshack SSL's are resold from Geotrust which dont say anything about challenge passwords.

Can anyone confirm for me that a rackshack SSL with a challenge password still works?

Thanks

2. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

Is an Apache problem?

ZachICU,

I am no expert, and I am working from memory -- which my wife often reminds me is not my strongest feature -- but as I recall, the problem with using a challenge passcode for your certificate is that everytime you apache is restarted, it requests the challenge password. Naturally, you might not be standing there at that moment to provide it, so wouldn't that be a pickle?

I think that if there is a form blank for you to fill in a passcode, and you just leave it blank, I think the key and csr will be generated without a challenge password, which will work much better in this situation.

Now if you want to be certain, do three things:

a) Ask somebody who can be more trusted than am I to have the info correct;

b) Go to Redhat Site and search on 'server.key' or some such and pull up their excellent tutorial, which I think is where I read this info; and

c) Use the redhat info to generate a self-signed key (which will cost you nothing) and then install that to see how it works. If it works OK, then use your same answers to generate your paid-for key, then install that one instead.

-- Arthur Cronos from Voltos

3. ZachICU

ZachICU Well-Known Member

When I restart apache it does not ask for a challenge password on any of the geotrust ssls on the server?

4. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

know when they are going to offer them again?

i dont like that instantssl though the panel, they claim 5 minute turn around, but thats hs....

-----------------------------------------------------
    QuickSSL™ Enrollment Form

The Online SSL Order Pages are Currently Down.
    Please check back soon.

5. WebDirect

WebDirect Registered

I ran into this problem also. Geotrust requires a blank challenge password for the certs, but when you attempt to generate the CSR with WHM/cpanel, you get an error that the "challenge password" cannot be left blank.

==SOLUTION==
    I completed all the fields and then for the challenge password field, I put my cursor in there and entered several blank spaces <space bar> and it then worked to generate the CSR.

Best Regards,
    Timothy Bowdler