Ted Curvin

Jan 15, 2019
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey everyone,
Getting an SMTP error with a MFP copier which will not send scanned documents via e-mail. We have 5 of these machines, and all do the same thing.
Here is the error in the exim_mainlog:
SSL verify error: certificate name mismatch: DN="/OU=Domain Control Validated/OU=COMODO SSL Wildcard
TLS error on connection from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:45879 (SSL_accept): error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol

I have updated the MFP to the latest firmware, and that didn't help. I have tried a few different 'options for openssl' and 'ssl/tls cipher suite list' changes in the exim configuration manager with no luck. Any help would be great! Thanks

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Your printer is still using obsolete SSL protocols hence you are seeing the issue. I suggest to get in touch with their support to see how you can enable TLS support on the printer itself rather than allowing these vulnerably protocols on the server itself.

Ted Curvin

Jan 15, 2019
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Unfortunately they are DELL printers, and they are no longer supported as they no longer make printers. I tried to reach out to Lexmark as they actually made them for DELL, but they want no part of it. I did try to update the firmware to the latest Lexmark firmware which actually didn't give me any errors, but still uses outdated TLS protocols.

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Here are the options from where you can adjust the protocols:

The important is that you should allow SSLv2 SSLv3 ones. If you see this !SSLv2 !SSLv3 then they are disabled. This is strongly not advised though as they are very vulnerable.

Ted Curvin

Jan 15, 2019
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I do realize it is a risk, but I have 4 of these scanners that currently aren't working and people depend on them. I tried the above articles' solutions but still gives an error:
dropped: too many syntax or protocol errors