ca2236

Feb 2, 2018
Nebraska
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I know it is not possible to install and SSL on a parked domain. But could I install a separate SSL for an Domains, Addon domains or Aliases? I have a site with a second domain and it overwrite the main site. I presume I need a wildcard/Multi domain cert. But just checking.

Edit: Is the first "domain" section the same as parked domain?

cpanel_domain_section.PNG

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
A parked domain and an alias domain are the same things. The domains interface listed here is solely for managing domains of all types, it is not its own domain type. You can install a certificate on an alias (parked) domain, subdomain, and an addon domain. I'm not sure where you got the impression that you were unable to install a certificate for a parked domain.

ca2236

Feb 2, 2018
Nebraska
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I think when I tried to install an SSL on the main domain, and then one for the parked domain, it overwrote the one for the "main domain". Also one of the other forums/articles on cpanel's network I believed said it couldn't be done.

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've detailed this deficiency in a few threads (I think?), the latest one seems to be:

The bottom line... at least in my opinion... cPanel needs to remove the current Domain Alias "feature" and just nudge people into creating Addon domains with a shared DocumentRoot.

Reactions: cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I've detailed this deficiency in a few threads (I think?), the latest one seems to be:

The bottom line... at least in my opinion... cPanel needs to remove the current Domain Alias "feature" and just nudge people into creating Addon domains with a shared DocumentRoot.
That's coming as far as I am aware @sparek-3 that was the reason for the introduction of the domains UI - we're revamping the way we do domains as a whole.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I think when I tried to install an SSL on the main domain, and then one for the parked domain, it overwrote the one for the "main domain". Also one of the other forums/articles on cpanel's network I believed said it couldn't be done.
It shouldn't "overwrite" the main domains but it will re-issue it so that it can add the alias as an SAN - this shouldn't actually affect anything though as far as I am aware nothing as far as coverage would change here.