The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stable being upgraded too quickly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SageBrian, Apr 9, 2003.

1. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have to ask.... Could it be that Stable is being updated too much? Again, the idea of Stable is that the features have been tested and found to be stable.... as in, no known problems.

But, the key thing is... you should be testing it for a while before saying it is 'stable'.

I don't know how you can have 2 Stable updates in ONE day.

Cpanel-6.4.0-STABLE_3-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 8 11:29:56 2003)
    Cpanel-6.2.0-STABLE_62-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 8 10:12:10 2003)
    Cpanel-6.2.0-STABLE_56-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 1 00:17:17 2003)
    Cpanel-6.2.0-STABLE_49-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Sat Mar 29 17:19:28 2003)
    Cpanel-6.2.0-STABLE_43-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Sat Mar 29 14:51:57 2003)
    Cpanel-6.0.0-STABLE_109-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1.3-21.2mdk (Mon Mar 10 12:37:24 2003)

The Mar 10th to Mar 29 was a good stretch, but obviously Stable_43 wasn't stable, was it? as Stable_49 was then released 3 hours later.

Same thing on April 8th. Not only is there less than 2 hours difference in the files, but the version jumped to 6.4!

Now.... HOW can 6.4 be stable already when it has JUST come out?

PLEASE.... STABLE should mean stable. Stable should mean that an old Release has been tested for a while, and the 'Release' is now Gold, proven to be Stable.

2. NNNils

NNNils Well-Known Member

I fully agree!!!

BTW, what's new in 6.4 and why is there no 6.3 ?

At this speed of upgrading, within a few years we will have version 48.6

3. SageBrian

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Suggestion....

• Beta: Test upcoming features
    • Edge: Test new features and fixes
    • Release: Edge features have been fixed and all known bugs appear to have been handled
    • Stable: Release has been out for at least 2 weeks without any known issues.

Numbering of updates

• Beta: Beta_62
      The number represents the Edge that the new tests are built on top of. Does not have to match the Edge numbers.
    • Edge: Edge_63
      Edge updates are basically tests of features to be released soon. Edges can be released hourly if need be. Edge is the 'cutting edge' and it comes with risk, but the fixes come quickly.
    • Release: Release_59
      Release should be once an Edge has been found to be 'low risk'. It should not have any new features or fixes. It should be based on an Edge number that has been found to be 'Good'.
      The number could be way off from the Edge number, and it can be as long as a week between 'Releases'
    • Stable: Stable_34
      Very Important. Stable means stable. It does not have any untested features or fixes.
      It should be based only on a previous 'Release', and only have a good period of time.
      Also.... When updating manually, we should be able to choose which update we want. Such as, if Stable_59 has just been released, give me an option to only update to Stable_34

Example of how it would work....

Beta_3a comes out with new 'back-scratching' feature.
    '3a' is based on Edge_3
    Beta_3b comes out with new 'core a apple' feature.
    '3b' is still based on Edge 3

Edge_4 comes out. It may contain anything. Nobody liked the back-scratching, so that was scratched, but the 'core a apple' feature is added.

Edge_5 fixes something.
    Edge_6 adds new 'orange squeezer'
    Edge_7 (released 2 hours later) adds 'lemon squeezer'
    Edge_8 (2 days later)add Blue Goo feature
    Edge_9 (day later) add 'tweetle beetles'
    Edge_10 Remove Blue Goo, replace with 'New Goo'
    Release_7 comes out, based on Edge_7, since Edge_7 has been shown to be 'Good' Note that this is after several days. It is just based on what is now thought to be 'good', without extra features, but perhaps with extra bug fixes.

-2 weeks-
    Release_7a fixes a minor bug found in _7
    Edge_45
    Edge_46
    Release_39 comes out, based on 'Good' tests of Edge_39
    Stable_7 comes out as Release_7 has shown to be pretty stable. A couple of bug fixes on top of Release_7 might have been added
    There could be months between Stable releases.

The numbers should be based on 'what is in the feature set'. Not... this is the number we are up to.

Remember, those that choose Stable expect it to be stable. They don't want or need the cutting edge. They lag behind, more conservatively. They don't need all the special new features added. They know that if they want a special feature they can always get a release or edge.

They may even tend to stay 2 Stable releases behind. They are the type to not upgrade to Windows XP until SP2 comes out. :)

If, on the rare chance that a Stable is found to have a bug, simple fix it and add an 'a' to it. Stable_7a is a fix for _7

Sometimes it seems that the production schedule gets caught up in the race to add something new, especially when you have people on the board complaining that they need this, and they need that. Yada Yada. That's good, but keep it on the Edge.

Stable should always be month's behind. Some of us are patient. Some of us might still be using DOS. :)

Brian

4. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Brians a good man, I liked his post alot ! :D

5. SageBrian

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel-6.4.0-STABLE_16-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:34:00 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-RELEASE_15-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:31:53 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-EDGE_14-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:29:47 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-STABLE_13-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:27:12 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-RELEASE_12-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:24:47 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-EDGE_11-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:22:58 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-RELEASE_9-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:10:06 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-EDGE_8-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 12:05:01 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-RELEASE_7-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 11:57:45 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-EDGE_6-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 11:52:58 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-RELEASE_5-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 11:46:39 2003)
    Cpanel-6.4.0-EDGE_4-Linux-i686-glibc-2.1 (Tue Apr 15 11:41:18 2003)

It's nice to see that Stable_13 was so stable that it took 7 minutes before Stable_16 came out. :(

I forget.... what does stable mean again????

I think I see what is going on. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but does it seem like ONE file is worked on? Make changes.... save as Edge_#
    Make more changes.... save as Edge_#+1
    Change one line in code.... save as Edge_#+1
    Another line, maybe correct some spelling.... save as Release_#+1
    Uh oh. Fix something...... save as Edge_#+1
    Since that last edge fixed a bug, save also as Release_#+1
    OK... all looks good. 5 minutes with no problems..... save as Stable_#+1

Is it me? Or does it really seem that way? There does not seem to be 3 separate code bases. It's whatever is being worked on at the time. I hope I'm wrong.... :(

6. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

As for this is could just be that when the stable was released a bug was instantly found and corrected... personally i would rather that it was corrected and it seemed like the updates were done rather quickly than left. Plus the reason this was probably done was because anyone who had the Stable updates option set would be downloading a version that had a bug, so rather than correct it and keep it as edge, they probably decided to release another stable....

Me ranting on again...

7. NorthwindHost

NorthwindHost Active Member

I agree as well. All my stable releases so far has been very unstable. Going from the server rebooting itself to mysql causing bad problems causing me to repair a db everyday.

8. SageBrian

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes. good that the bug was fixed instantly. But..... why a bug in a 'stable' release? A bug that is found so quickly?

Again, a recurring theme here is.... Stable should be Stable, not 'thought to be stable'.

That was my point. I'm not whining or complaining. Rather, I am trying to point out what the definition of Stable is, and hoping that one day, it will be. :rolleyes: