The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

staff account in whm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wanrenqingkong, Sep 19, 2009.

1. wanrenqingkong

wanrenqingkong Active Member

Is there any way to create staff account in whm with different permission to manage all accounts, such as quota modification? seems reseller accounts can only manage his own accounts

2. InstaCarma_Tech

InstaCarma_Tech Well-Known Member

Thats right. Resellers can manage his main account and resold accounts only.

In order to achieve what you require, you can make a reseller as 'root' but give him only certain permissions via Reseller Privileges.

3. wanrenqingkong

Thanks! but after I double checked the reseller function. Seems it cannot meet my need.
    After reseller getting root permission, it will override all other privilege setting, he can even create another reseller account and change root password... but there is nowhere we can limit that access.

I wonder how other companies handle this issue? Every support would get root access based on extreme trust?

I just need a support to be able to search out all domains with limited access to modify them.

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

You misunderstood what you were told by the other user ....

Don't make the reseller have "root" privileges!

Login as "root" and setup a new reseller with the privileges you want!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now regarding access to accounts, make the reseller owner of all accounts you want them to be able to manage. The root login can still manage those same accounts at full master level access.

That way you have 2 accounts managing the same accounts, one as root and one as a lesser account access level.

5. wanrenqingkong

thanks, Spiral. Your suggestion makes sense. Just clarify that in this ways, we cannot manage normal resellers' hosting accounts:)

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

'Root' can manage any account and login to their control panels as well (unless explicitly disabled in 'Tweak Settings' in WHM)

Resellers can do the same for any account owned by them

A reseller wouldn't be able to access the customer accounts of another reseller but they could manage the reseller's own master account if the other reseller's own master account were setup to be owned by your staff reseller account.

(Resellers don't have to own their own master accounts -- in fact, I recommend that you don't have them own their own account and have that one owned by either root or another reseller)

7. wanrenqingkong

Thanks! I have tested it according to what you instructed.
    I can see cPanel is giving reseller full responsibilities for their clients. I think this is what I need now.