The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stagger daily tasks for lower load?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff-C, May 3, 2004.

1. Jeff-C

Jeff-C Well-Known Member

Is there a way to easily stagger awstats and urchin stats processing? Currently my load is around 0.5 average, but at 4:00 it jumps to between 9 and 20 which leaves the server laggy while these tasks are being processed (I'm guessing it's the stats processing.) Is there a way to run some stats at 4, some at 5, some at 6, some at 7, and so on to more evenly spread the load?

I also had to turn off daily backup because it shot the IOWait way up on my RHE 3.0 2.8 Ghz server and left the server too laggy while it was being processed. I would also like to find a way to make backup play nicer on the server. Is there a way to make it run at a lower priority/speed tarring up the files so it doesn't totally dominate IO/disk access while it's running but instead allows the server to keep serving normally while backup is being performed?

2. blairp36

blairp36 Active Member

Good question... I'm having the same problem. I installed a little script called SPRI to help manage processes. So far I've been able to lower my loads 30%. Tonight I'm going to note the processes during backup and set them to low priority and run backup again. Seems tar is using the most resource. Anyway, here is the utility if you want to give it a try also.

http://www.rfxnetworks.com/spri.php