The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stamp Out Thieving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaymc, Aug 15, 2005.

1. jaymc

jaymc Well-Known Member

Ok i have a website which is used so people can listen to audio

I use the <embed> player to achieve this... i have done what i can as in hide the music link, such as put it in frames, disable right click etc...

but in other browsers their are still ways around it, and its now becoming a big problem has so many people are learning how to rob audio

Hotlink protection is out the question, Embed does not send any headers, their for HTACCESS does not work

and Object has problems with WMA files

basically i need a way to hide the link, from the source, and from right clicking on the media player

is it possible to pass information to a special flash player, so for example

www.site.com/index.php?file=song.wma

is it possible to get flash to read that in, an play what ever file= equals

or perhaps you have another way of stopping people from typing www.site.com/song.wma and in turn downloading the file

really cracking me up this, be lookin for a solution for months

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

This is not really a cPanel related question and you'd probably be better of asking the same in a web development forum, so keep that in mind for the future.

However, the first thing you have to remember is that you cannot ever hide a page's HTML source code. Therefore you should never include in the source code something that you don't want people to know.

One of the best ways to go about achieving your goal would be to store the details of the songs in a database and only reference a record ID in the HTML source. You could then code, however you like, a method for retrieving the relevant song data from the database based on the record ID alone.

Further still, to prevent people from grabbing the song you could then load it into a custom Flash player or similar. To keep everything concealed, you should really reference the Flash app along the lines of /path/to/app.swf?song=12.