The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stats all time behind :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benito, Aug 12, 2008.

1. benito

benito Well-Known Member

Since a few weeks my stats are allways behind. Everytime i run "/scripts/runstatsonce" from console my stats are ok for a day, after that are behind again.

What can i do? Set a cron that run "/scripts/runstatsonce" ?

2. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What version of cPanel are you using?

3. benito

benito Well-Known Member

Latest stable.

4. Kent Brockman

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    ok. check your error logs to find out any inconsistence or logged entry that may lead to the causes of this issue.
    Also, at WHM, review your backup and stats settings. Check the stats schedule. How often are them supposed to run? Did you set WHM to erase the logs after processing? At the Statistics Processing Times verify you haven't set a very restricted range of hours that you would like log analysis NOT to be performed. Check that the option "Prevent cpanellogd (Log Processing) and cpbackup (Backups) from running at same time" is checked so those processes don't overlap and eventually interfere each other making difficult to get completed.
    Check what settings are being used at "Configure Backup" section, too.
    If you host a great number of domains and there is set a very intensive backup policy, it may be using too much resources and may prevent stats from running.

5. benito

benito Well-Known Member

This is really strange. My stats allways run fine and i have this server since two years. the backup with stats does not overlapping and the backup is done every two days.

The logs are erased after every run, and i dont restrict any hour to run the stats. They are scheduled to run every 24 hours (now i set 36 to give it more time).

So i dont know what more to do. Where are the logs for "cpanellogd" ?

6. Kent Brockman

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you change from 24 to 36 hs, it may even delay more the stats run since the domains will generate more data to process. The recommended schedule is 24 hs. ALL the domains has its stats always behind? Neither the less popular domain (lower sized hits log) gets updated?

Run manually the stats and allow 23 hours to pass; then access your ftp and look into the folder "/access-logs/YOURDOMAIN" and see how huge are getting the logs at the end of the day. Maybe one of them is getting so huge or there is any problem generating them.

Verify the awstats data after running the stats and check if the resulting statistics are consistent with previous months to detect any possible failure or quirks in the logging of data. You will be able to detect that fluctuation if you check the most visited domains you host there.

Verify if your mean load values are normal, cause higher values may prevent stats from running as expected, too.

Check the stats log via console and look for any error message. Run this:
    Code:
    less /usr/local/cpanel/logs/stats_log
    Do you have any firewall or process monitor to know if the system is logging any error in any given moment?

7. benito

benito Well-Known Member

I dont think this is because the size of the log files, every time i run the manual update for the biggest site, it runs in 5 or less seconds. Also when i run the stats for all the domains, it not last more than 10 minutes ever.

BTW, i dont need stats for some of the bigest domains, i disabled all stats for those so there are less work in on every stats run.

All domains are behind allways, like if stats not run at all.

I think the server load is fine. Its a Xeon with 4 procs and the average load its 4.

8. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

similar case with one of my box.
    the stats gets freezed on a particular domain, and i've to restart it manually every time.
    Account is not that big or busy where the stats get stopped.

9. Kent Brockman

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    A deeper check of recorded entries in the logs should be done to find out if there is anything going wrong with that stats.

When this started to happen you have coincidently installed some new application or script? or even this happened after you updated any of the apps running in your box?

Benito: you said some domains have stats disabled but others don't. Maybe a cPanel bug happening when verifying which domains has stats and in which of them these processes must be ran.

Well, no more ideas from my side :(

10. tandyuk

tandyuk Active Member

Awstats Odditites maybe related?

Hi,

I have a server with around 100 domains on it.
    all the accounts with stats enabled report fine, except 1.

That 1 site in question going back about 2 months had a pretty steady climb of visitors, averaging between 1500 and 2000 visitors per day.
    Im not sure what changed, but now our stats fluctuate between 400 and 2000 visits per day. Given that 90+ % of our traffic is from the uk, the times/dates when the highs/lows are is kinda counter intuitive.

Note that there are no errors whe generating stats, logfiles are NOT set to be deleted after stats run, and when tallying the number of lines in the logs with the total hits awstats reports (viewed + not viewed), they are pretty close (although never exactly the same).

Does anyone know if there has been an awstats update recently which changed the 'traffic not viewed' detection, as the only thing I can thinkn of is that either previously we had spiders being counted as real visitors, or that now, some real vistors are being miscounted as spiders.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar (and *any* tips for optimizing awstats for high volume sites most welcome :D)