The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stats CPU Resource Usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tswaibel, Feb 21, 2004.

1. tswaibel

tswaibel Active Member

I apologize for posting a somewhat repeated thread, however I have yet to find an actual solution to this problem. I'm continually recieving the infamous stats emails provided below:

------------------

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    This is cPanel stats runner on server12.^^^^^^^^^.com!
    While processing the log files for user ^^^^, the cpu has been
    maxed out for more then a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server
    at the time of
    this email is
    2:59am up 15 days, 3:09, 0 users, load average: 1.28, 0.73, 0.63
    You should check the server to see why the load is so high and take
    steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high
    load; Edit
    /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run
    /usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes).

-------------------------------

Where would one begin to search for where the resources are being eaten up and possily correct that issue?

Many Thanks.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Ok, there are a couple things you can do.

Firstly, you can up the value for: "The load average above the number of cpus at which logs file processing should be suspended (default 0):" under tweak settings. This will allow the logs to be processed above the current max load average set.

Secondly, you can modify the value for "Number of days between processing log files and bandwidth usage (default 1, decimal values are ok):" also under tweak settings. The more often logs are processed the less cpu power they need to go through the logs as the log file to be processed is much smaller than if its run daily. Try playing with this for a few days, maybe start at 0.5 for twice a day or 0.25 for 4 times a day etc. Now, keep in mind if your logs are always running they will be constantely using cpu which may not be exactly what yo need so you should monitor this close and find the best value for your requirements.

EDIT:

Also, you may be running Awstats, Webalizer and Analog. You may only really need to run one of these. We find our clients preffer Awstats, so we just scrapped the rest. If they need anything else, they should be able to scrape it up from the raw logs.

#2 haze, Feb 21, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Real solution to the problem: ignore it, seriously.

Cpanel is quite anal about the perceived "server load", even though it's not even load most of the time. What you've just shown (1.2) is FAR from 'server load" at all. Any time you've got anything of a server doing ANYTHING of work, you're going to have at least a load of 1.0

What I'd (personally) like to see Cpanel do is put in configuration of that. So that YOU tell it when to alert you.

You're not the only one to draw the wrong conclusion from these emails, or even from the stats shown on CPanel. It's something that everyone does.

When should you be worried about this? When your server (constantly) starts going over 5.0 load. THEN there's a problem somewhere, and it needs to be looked at.

I've seen servers handle 20+ load, my own has been up to 75, and it still kept on ticking. Now that's not SAFE to do, by any means (don't get me wrong there), but a load of 1.0 does NOT indicate anything of a problem, or result in a performance issue by any means. Like I said, when it starts hitting 5 constantly, then start worrying and looking at what the problem is.

4. tswaibel

tswaibel Active Member

Gentlemen I sincerely appreciate your assistance on the matter. Your advice is invaluable.

I've gone ahead and turned off 1 of two running stats programs to ease the load (Not that there is one) as well as turned an eye for the time being as the load never goes above 1.7 during the late night "run."

Thanks again :p

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Not true.
    Look under "Tweak Settings" in WHM.

You obviously have no grasp on what the load average is from from your post above. Its essentially a figure that is produced with many different factors.

A load of above 1 can kill a server, it all depends on the specs, available resources and whats actually running.

A load above 1 on certain systems can also cause programs to start running much slower than usual, so its best to keep an eye on things ALWAYS.