The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stats help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paulm, Nov 13, 2004.

1. paulm

paulm Well-Known Member

analog, webalizer and awstats all show different stats for everything for some reason.

cpanel told me a month or so ago this was a 'bug' and would be fixed in 9.9.0 release but the problem still persists. I have seen some people say it is because they all 'measure' things differently but this does for some reason not make any sense to me because they should all have the same number of hits correct? Don't they also all ready from the raw logs?

I have a customer who needs this to be able to tell how many times a real media file is download for a recorded show he does and I am at a loss of what to tell them, it is pretty obvious cpanel told me is was a 'bug' just to get the ticket closed rather than get the correct answer which is no suprise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. paulm

paulm Well-Known Member

am I the only one having this problem or is this just another cpanel bug which has not been fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Getox

Getox BANNED

dont with anyone will help cos their rude and inconsiderate

4. Brio

Brio Member

Different stats software will calculate things in a different way. AWstats will seperate non-viewed traffic (for example search engine hits, bots etc.) into different groupings. The same thing goes with error messages, whereas Webalizer includes them in your totals. It also depends on if the entire file was downloaded (if it's a big file), or if the person stopped before completion.

Also, different stats software can have issues with lines of log files. If you ran your own independant versions of the stats software (not the ones in cPanel) you would see how many lines of courrupt log files it has disregarded (generally you can get the software to tell you that). Stats programs do come accross bad lines in log files, which they have to ignore and carry on.

By the sounds of your problem it isn't anything to do with cPanel really.

If you want very acurate counting, it might be worth taking a look at some form of counting script to log hits to that particular file (hotscripts.com should have plenty).