The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stats/Server Overload

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by codenameviper, May 1, 2010.

1. codenameviper

codenameviper Registered

I have been getting these emails a lot lately:

the cpu has been maxed out for more than a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of this email is
    11:27:55 up 26 days, 5:20, 0 users, load average: 8.62, 31.30, 38.94

You should check the server to see why the load is so high and take steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high load; Edit /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run /usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes).

Should I just go ahead and change extracpus, and if so, which number do you recommend changing it to?

Also where exactly do I do this stuff at? I logged on to SSH and ran /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and nothing happened. My site has CPanel and I see nothing under CPanel that has anything to do with this. Do I need to login to something else?

thanks

2. chinmay

chinmay Well-Known Member

Hi

What you can do here is configure logs to process at night OR non business hours. Also check as to how often Bandwidth and Log Processing Frequency is set to.

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you edit /var/cpanel/cpanel.config directly, you must run the following command afterward to apply the changes:
    Code:
    # /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/whostmgr2 --updatetweaksettings
    This has the same effect as saving the changes in the WebHost Manager in Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings. The extracpus value in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config is labeled as "The load average above the number of cpus at which logs file processing should be suspended" in Tweak Settings.

You can change the statistics software processing schedule in the WebHost Manager in Main >> Server Configuration >> Statistics Software Configuration.

4. LiquidWebBenny

PartnerNOC

(emphasis mine)

While a load of 8 is not panic time (depending on the hardware that you're using) I would still suggest identifying if the stats processing is what's causing the load, or if there's something else that needs to be addressed. You should be able to do that from the process list, or ask your host for help tracking it down.

5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Double the emphasis .....

Benny could not of stated that any better. Listen. Do. :p

6. LiquidWebBenny

PartnerNOC

Thanks. :)

7. ne0shell

ne0shell Well-Known Member

You really, really should consider hiring a qualified Linux admin to configure your server based on your post.

cPanel is not a substitute for Linux administration skills. There's a very good chance your server load is running high because it's been compromised in some way and is being used for hacking, spam, warez, etc - probably due to the system not being secured properly.

8. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Good eyes! I didn't catch that the user actually posted that! :D

(And, I definitely agree with the sentiment and second the motion)