Don7t

Mar 8, 2004
Was getting these emails from my server...

While processing the log files for user USERNAME, the cpu has been maxed out for more than a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of this email is
19:30:35 up 158 days, 17 min, 0 users, load average: 4.82, 4.36, 4.29

I suspended the account and levels went back to normal, I then reinstated it and the levels remained normal, go figure, hope this helps.....

Thanks

feldon27

Mar 12, 2003
Houston, TX
My dedicated server is now maxed out 24/7 because of this sh*t despite having only 1 account. I've pretty much given up on a solution.

My server loads (via those e-mails) are at 2.68, 2.80, 2.89 all day and all night every damn day.

I deleted my Apache logs to no avail.

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
feldon27 said:
My server loads (via those e-mails) are at 2.68, 2.80, 2.89 all day and all night every damn day.

I deleted my Apache logs to no avail.
I think you need to read annekmadison note, "by fooling around with the logs and stats, people are treating the symptoms when there may be a real underlying disease--like handing a Band-Aid to someone suffering from cancer."

Now, addressing security issues is one of those cases where "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.". A hacker could do untold damage if they get into your system or network. And because hackers learn their trade in underground electronic communities, if one finds a way into your system you can bet that they'll let everyone else know about it.

Hackers won't hesitate a second to use whatever means to find their way into your server. The risks are many and the consequences could threaten the very existence of your company. I suggest you secure and harden your server before it is TOO late.

feldon27

Mar 12, 2003
Houston, TX
Got any ideas on how to solve this problem? EVERY time I look at top, the server is pretty much idle. I'm sorry but I don't have hours to diagnose something that should be fixed by cPanel.

ayman999ua

Registered
Mar 28, 2006
hi, i am new user of CPanel.

where to find log files of domains? and how to delete domlogs for some domains?

Thanks.

gpinchev

Registered
Oct 8, 2004
Don7t said:
I suspended the account and levels went back to normal, I then reinstated it and the levels remained normal, go figure, hope this helps.....
This, like a miracle, resolved the problem. Thanks for sharing the idea!

tarmo

Feb 1, 2005
"you should check the server to see why the load is so high and take steps to lower the load. If you want stats to continue to run even with a high load; Edit /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and change extracpus to a number larger then 0 (run /usr/local/cpanel/startup afterwards to pickup the changes)."

If i try to edit /var/cpanel/cpanel.config it says that this file is read only?? But I am root, what should I do?

Ver: WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-E129

Thank you.

Tarmo