The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[statscheck] Stats/Server Overload

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J.C, Jun 19, 2007.

1. J.C

J.C Member

I've had a look around and I've tinkered with a few bits and bobs but I'm still receiving these emails. So far I've restarted the box hoping that would help the lag but unfortunately it wasn't that simple. I then proceeded to "WHM >> Tweak Settings" and checked the box "delete each domain's access logs after stats run." I've waited 24 hours but still no luck.

I've noticed on a few other threads people mention "domlogs". I've had a look in "usr/local/apache/domlogs" and there seems to be a number of .log files. How can I find out the log size for the domain in question?

As of 17:32 GMT this was my "top" command.

Any help would be appreciated and I apologise for repeating a question that may already be well addressed.

2. J.C

J.C Member

I've also done "vdir /usr/local/apache/domlogs" and I find the following for the domain name in question: "-rw-r----- 1 root montana4 5779054 Jun 21 15:05 mydomain.com." I'm guessing "5779054" is the file size? Other files go up as large as "116569107". Do I need to delete these files or can I just edit them and remove old data from the beginning of the log?

3. kship

kship Member

I had the same issue and here is what i did:

I logged in via ssh and did top command to see what processes were running high. The top 3 processes (80% and up) were associated with a certain client and it was spamd. I killed all 3 processes and watched the server load drop to normal. I am not sure why this happened. I upgraded to the newest current build 2 days ago and then I started receiving the stats overload emails immediately afterwards (within a fewe hours) and emails stating that spamd has failed etc...I will watch for more of these and report back.

Either a coincidence or a problem that surfaced right after I updated. I had not had any problems with this server up to this point. This particular server has been in production for 6 months.

4. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Check this out as well.

WHM -> Server Configuration -> Tweak Settings -> Under Stats and Logs, check the box that says Delete each domain's access logs after stats run

Is it Checked or Un Checked? If it is unchecked, then you may want to check it, as it will delete the logs after each stats update and there won't be near as much for the server to process daily.

5. kship

kship Member

it is checked and has been. I ended up removing spam assasin and so far so good.

6. J.C

J.C Member

I've finally resolved this after all this time.

Logged into cPanel > Statistics Software Configuration then unchecked 'Analog'.