The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step by step instructions for configuring WHM for NAT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clk320, Mar 9, 2012.

1. clk320

clk320 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

First, let me start with the full disclosure that I am a Linux newbie. So far I have been able to create my virtual host on Amazon's EC2 infrastructure, run my own DNS server there too, and install cPanel/WHM. I also did fair amount of further configuration, but finally reached the limit of my current skills.

I believe I need step by step directions how to configure cPanel to work on Amazon's EC2 cloud in a NAT environment. Specifically, I am running into a situation where domains that have no content uploaded to the virtual directory do show the generic cPanel splash page, but if there is any content in the virtual directory I get a 404 error message. You can see the generic at /http://www.acominternational.com and the 404 at /http://www.acominternational.com/phpsecinfo-20070406/

So I suspect that my problem is the Amazon NAT. I have seen quite a few posts here on how to make it work, but what I (and chances are other newbies like me) need is literally a step by step, type this, type that kind of instructions for making NAT work. I would imagine this would also help cPanel Support to reduce the number of tickets related to NAT issues.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel does not support NAT configurations in any way.

If the server is setup properly, have you created an account for that domain? If not, try that.

3. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

Thanks added to my todo list. Once we get done we'll add it to the workaround area in the forums.

Thanks!

4. clk320

clk320 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With the help of cPanel's extremely patient and helpful staff, I was able to get it going. Surprisingly, it is quite easy to get it going. Moreover, it appears to me that cPanel can readily be expanded to have a config check box that says "Running NAT" that addresses what I am about to describe.

The background is that I created a 64-bit CentOS server on Amazon's EC2. The server was assigned it's public Elastic IP address. Installing cPanel was a no brainer. Things got complicated when I was unable to run any of the domains that I wanted to host on the server.

All I had to do to make cPanel work with NAT was 1) to configure WHM with the private EC2 IP address, not the public Elastic IP, 2) configure no DNS on my server (use Amazon's instead), and 3) delete the DNS zones that WHM had created upon defining the virtual hosts. That's it, not much to it.

The annoying part is that whenever a new parked or subdomain is defined in any of the cPanel accounts, I have to go back to WHM and deleted the automatically created DNS zone. It would be great is WHM had a check box that says "Running on NAT, don't create any DNS zones".

Now my next challenge is to install a UCC certificate so that all domains can have SSLs that share the same Elastic IP address. If anyone has specific experience with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

5. fabiobritonet

fabiobritonet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi clk320

Can´t we get in touch via email or Skype.

I am looking for the same thing as you are doing it! Probably we could chat/talk a bit and find out together the solution we need.

My Skype is fabiobritonet

Do you want to chat with me?

Regards

Fabio

6. clk320

clk320 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Fabio, will be happy to answer any further questions on the topic. I'd rather do it in the forum so that everyone can benefit from the discussion.

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Cheers for that thought, clk320, agreed. :)

8. jasonalv

jasonalv Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Did you manage to get around this?

I have seen the suggestion to add a script in /scripts/postwwwacct
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/cpanel-behind-nat-dns-zone-template-233952.html

Thats probably where I am headed next(using Amazon EC2).

Jason

9. j.conti

j.conti Registered

Hi clk320,

Now, I'm installing cPanel in a EC2.

Please, I need a little more information.

Your's Steps are:

1) to configure WHM with the private EC2 IP address, not the public Elastic IP

I used the "IP Functions" -> "IP Migration Wizard" for migrate all server from Elastic IP to the private IP. Is that correct?

2) configure no DNS on my server (use Amazon's instead)

I disabled DNS in "Server configuration -> Nameserver Selection". Is that correct. And how I use Amazon's? Maybe Rout 53? How to configure it? any more change in the server?

3) delete the DNS zones that WHM had created upon defining the virtual hosts. That's it, not much to it.

"DNS Functions -> "Edit DNS Zone" -> Domain. I removed all NS records. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot