The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steps to secure a DNS Cluster

Discussion in 'Security' started by Staxed, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Staxed

Staxed Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recently setup a DNS Cluster in order to get some redundancy. The issue I normally use managed servers, but since I thought these would be pretty easy to operate I did not get them managed.

My issue is, after recently setting them up...sometimes the brute force detection on the dns only servers blocks the main server that is trying to sync to them. Are there any specific things I should do with the firewall/brute force detection in order to prevent this from happening?

Also, suggestions on best steps to take in order to secure/harden a dns only server would be awesome if anyone feels so inclined :). I've found a few guides on how to secure a centos server, and how to secure a cpanel server, but most of them are pretty old...and wasn't sure if they process would be any different specifically for dnsonly version of cpanel. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You should take the same steps to secure a cPanel DNS-Only only server that you would take with any other server (aside from protections on services that aren't utilized). You can white list server IP addresses in cPhulk to ensure it's not blocked.

Thank you.