The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still creating accounts the manual way?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wswd, Nov 19, 2014.

1. wswd

wswd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seriously guys???

Not sure how long this has been in WHM, but just noticed it this morning. Perhaps you're just trying to be helpful (I doubt it), but this comes off to me as a big ad for the 3 companies mentioned on the page where you click "Learn More": https://cpanel.net/account_automation_solutions/

This is a paid product, not some free product where you should feel free to throw your ads wherever you like. The ads in the SSL section are bad enough...now this?

I already own WHMCS, several lifetime licenses. I don't need to be bombarded with this crap when I go to create an account manually. Yes, I realize the "No Thanks" seems to dismiss it permanently. It shouldn't be there in the first place.

Shame on you!!

Attached Files:

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can disable the promo by creating the following file:

/var/cpanel/disable_billing_software_promo

EX:

Code:
    touch /var/cpanel/disable_billing_software_promo
    Thank you.

3. wswd

wswd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

You can also disable it by clicking "No Thanks" when it comes up. That isn't my point. It shouldn't be there in the first place. A control panel that we pay for is no place to put your ads. Advertise for these folks on the cPanel website, advertise them elsewhere...not in the control panel. Terribly poor form.

4. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Absolutely ridiculous!

How long has the "Still creating accounts the manual way?" feature been in the Create New Account area of Cpanel?

I don't remember EVER receiving any notification from Cpanel about implementing this WITHOUT OUR CONSENT.

We use Cpanel so we can run our business, not for Cpanel to offer OUR customers free hosting with their "Partners"!

Please give a full explanation about this, when it was implemented, why you decided to implement it - why on earth are you coming onto OUR servers offering FREE hosting to OUR customers with links to YOUR hosting partners???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 oshs, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

The touch file should actually be:

Code:
    # touch /var/cpanel/disable_billing_solutions_notice

Or as mentioned by wswd, you can also click the "No Thanks" link to make that disappear.
    I've created a new case for this (case # 188997) to address both the touch file being incorrect and your concerns regarding the link. We will update this thread accordingly once we have more information. The promo link has been around since version 11.44.

6. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi CPanelPeter,

Does clicking the No make it disappear for all users?

Thanks for creating the case. Speaking to a number of UK web hosts we are all very ticked off with this.

7. NoNo_Labs

NoNo_Labs Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I never paid to much attention to it and moved along my way. But I will definitely note the script from @cPanelMichael since becoming aware of this will hi-light it.

8. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Reviewing the case, 2 of our product owners/developers stated:

As with the "Buy CloudLinux" promotion, Partners can change where the Billing Software promotion link goes, and can disable the link, within their Manage2 control panel.

However, It appears this functionality does not currently work because the link is supposed to be changeable by the partner from the billing software promotion page on cpanel.net, and this is likely "recently" broken with the cpanel.net to cpanel.com change over.