Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Stop Auto-responder from responding to a responder, lol :-)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kistler, Feb 1, 2007.

1. kistler

kistler Well-Known Member

I have had a few members ask for a way to stop the auto-responder from auto-responding to someone that has responded to a recent auto-responded message. Is there a way to check the subject or place some type of header for the Auto-responder system to realize that this user has replied to an auto-responder email?

lol, if that’s not clean let me know.

Thanks for any help or ideas,
    Kistler

2. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

most llikely, no 2 auto-responders respond the same way, so there's probably not a good way of daeling with this.

although, if you modify the autoresponder to remember subject lines, then most of the aut-responders respond with "RE: subject" which could help.. but it seems like a lot of work.

another option is to have the return or reply address the auto-responder sends as something different which you'd have going to a :blackhole: or something.

3. kistler

kistler Well-Known Member

This is mainly what I am looking for I'd rather take the time than to allow my clients and his/her clients to be annoyed with the constant auto reply emails. But these users that use them feel they help out a lot. They just get repetitive to a on going conversation using emails.

Where would the config file be for the auto responder, I’ll continue to look for it but if anyone knows this it would be a great help.

4. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

I'm not at my main computer so I'm working from memory here, but I'd start sifting through /etc/exim.conf and, I think there's a section right in there for autoresponders, --I think it pipes to a program which does the actual autoresponding... this could easily be replaced by your own.... just remember, cpanel will overwrite the /etc/exim.conf from time to time, so any changes should be made via WHM if possible, so you dont have to re-make them all the time.