Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Stop Backup Purge

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Peoplespaces, Nov 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do you stop the purging of canceled accounts from backup files. I find lots of customers can't or don't pay their bills and they want the account restored months after, so I need those backups kept until I manually delete them.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I encourage you to vote and add feedback on the following feature request:

Manage backups of terminated accounts

Note the following comment:

You could setup a script that copies the backup archive of an account to a separate location on the server, and then setup the script to automatically run after the account is terminated as part of the Accounts::Remove hook.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mindnetcombr

mindnetcombr Well-Known Member

I will just quote some comments of this feature request:

source: Manage backups of terminated accounts

- "the new cpanel backup does not keep backups of deleted accounts. if you terminate the account the backup will "disappear" after it no longer being in the set period (because the ne backups are now in date base directories which just get erased)"

- "What one minute.... What if you accidentally terminate an account? Then the system removes the backup, so intimidate recovery is impossible? As in, I guess you would be SOL? cPanel, please say it ain't so!"

So if an account was accidentally terminated by a reseller ou root user, on next backup run the backup will not exist. It's a risk of data loss. This feature should be a priority to cpanel team.

4. brt

brt Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    "What if you accidentally terminate an account?" -> It's not like this is a one-click process. You can't just accidentally delete an account.

I would advise doing what we do. When an account is deleted, whether manually or through the likes of WHMCS, archive the backup somewhere else. It's a manual step, but if you have enough churn that it's a problem, you probably have other issues.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...