Peoplespaces

Oct 1, 2001
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
How do you stop the purging of canceled accounts from backup files. I find lots of customers can't or don't pay their bills and they want the account restored months after, so I need those backups kept until I manually delete them.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I encourage you to vote and add feedback on the following feature request:

Manage backups of terminated accounts

Note the following comment:

As it stands right now, backups are not removed from the system on account termination, however the way that backups are stored in the new system (by date, rather than by backup type) means that they won't be retained longer than your configured backup retention schedule. The best way to achieve this prior to our implementation of this request is by using the Standardized Hook system.
You could setup a script that copies the backup archive of an account to a separate location on the server, and then setup the script to automatically run after the account is terminated as part of the Accounts::Remove hook.

Thank you.

mindnetcombr

Sep 16, 2004
I will just quote some comments of this feature request:

source: Manage backups of terminated accounts

- "the new cpanel backup does not keep backups of deleted accounts. if you terminate the account the backup will "disappear" after it no longer being in the set period (because the ne backups are now in date base directories which just get erased)"

- "What one minute.... What if you accidentally terminate an account? Then the system removes the backup, so intimidate recovery is impossible? As in, I guess you would be SOL? cPanel, please say it ain't so!"

So if an account was accidentally terminated by a reseller ou root user, on next backup run the backup will not exist. It's a risk of data loss. This feature should be a priority to cpanel team.

brt

Jul 9, 2015
US
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
"What if you accidentally terminate an account?" -> It's not like this is a one-click process. You can't just accidentally delete an account.

I would advise doing what we do. When an account is deleted, whether manually or through the likes of WHMCS, archive the backup somewhere else. It's a manual step, but if you have enough churn that it's a problem, you probably have other issues.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011