Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Stop old cPanel services?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhm.geerts, Apr 23, 2018.

1. rhm.geerts

rhm.geerts Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We got another server which a Cpanel license has been running on.
    Unfortunately there is no way to uninstall cPanel except for reinstalling the complete server.
    That is no option since it's a live server, the owner does not want that.

At this moment, suddenly mailman starts to do strange things. I get these notices from CSF/LFD:
    Strange thing is this is only since today, while this cPanel licese is already not valid anymore since approx. 2 weeks.

Next to that I still get e-mails from Cpanel that the harddrives are 84.4% full, which I don't need to know every day. :)

Is there a way to stop this mailman process (don't know what causes it) and to stop other cpanel things definately so I don't get these harddisk or other things from cpanel?
    Because I can't change crontabs or e-mail adresses or whatever, because I can't login to WHM anymore since the license is not valid anymore. :)

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

Mailman is a service on cPanel servers that enables the ability to create and manage email lists. Information on what specifically mailman is can be found here GNU Mailman

Furthermore, the notification you're receiving from CSF/LFD is only letting you know that the service has been running longer than CSF's threshold for long running processes. You can restart the process if you like or you can configure CSF to ignore the process - CSF has information on how to do this in their forums for example Process Tracking and csf.pignore - ConfigServer Community Forum

If you'd like to disable mailman you can set the following in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config:

Code:
    skipmailman=1
    As for the email notifications, you may be able to modify the following notifications in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config to stop these from being delivered:

Code:
    emailusers_diskusage_critical_contact_admin=1
    emailusers_diskusage_full_contact_admin=1

Though there are other notifications that could be sending similar emails they would need to be disabled through the contact manager which is not available if the license is not valid.

Thank you,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    rhm.geerts likes this.
  3. rhm.geerts

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you Lauren.
    I know it's just a CSF notification which can be put in the ignore list, but as far as possible I just would like to stop all the old cpanel services as far as possible.

I've put skipmailman=1 and the contact_admin mails to 0.

Any other cpanel stuff which can be stopped?

4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

While not designed to be used with servers which are no longer licensed the following WHMAPI1 function may be useful to disable cPanel services:

WHM API 1 Functions - configureservice - Developer Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Because it was not intended for non-licensed servers it is possible it will not work as intended. Ultimately, the best way to do this would be to move to a server without cPanel installed though I do understand that you did mention that wasn't something you wanted to do.

Thank you,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    rhm.geerts likes this.
  5. rhm.geerts

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct the owner I'm working for did not want to move yet. He had cPanel ordered for this server to be used for hosting.
    After just a bit longer then a week he decided he wanted to use for something else and instead of having it formatted first (by me or the other person), he let somebody else configure the whole thing for streaming or something like that, with custom software.
    Which caused this problem.
    Ofcourse in fact it's his problem, but as a point of service I would still like to try to prevent things conflicting with each other.
    I advised him a couple of times to have the server reformatted and reinstalled. I hope he will see the light soon. ;)
    So I might let it be like it's now... at this moment nothing is conflicting, so hopefully he decides better soon.
    Thank you!

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I hope he does too but understand the position you're in, thanks @rhm.geerts I hope the WHMAPI1 functions work for you!

Thank you,

7. rhm.geerts

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm sorry, I'm no API programmer, it's not really my thing so I don't think I will use it.
    But thank you for mentioning it though.

8. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You're most welcome! I do want to point out that the API functions here should not require extensive programming knowledge to complete.

For example if I wanted to disable php-fpm for cPanel services I would just run the following via CLI:

Code:
    whmapi1 configureservice service=cpanel_php_fpm enabled=0 monitored=0

For cPHulk I would just change the value for the service

Code:
    whmapi1 configureservice service=cphulkd enabled=0 monitored=0
    Examples of each of the available forms of the API are provided on the page as well.

Thank you,

rhm.geerts likes this.
  9. rhm.geerts

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah that's very nice, I thought I had to create api scripts with kind of these lines in them.
    But this looks indeed not too difficult. I'll have another look at it then, and going to try some.
    I'm sure I must succeed with these examples.

Great, thank you very much!!

Edit: I love Cpanel (and the support).
    Unfortunately it was true what you thought might happen:
    Code:
    whmapi1 configureservice service=cpanel-dovecot-solr enabled=0 monitored=0
    ---
    statusmsg: Cannot Read License File
    So it doesn't work via whmapi either. But thank you anyway for the support!

#9 rhm.geerts, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @rhm.geerts

You're most welcome and we're so glad you love cPanel, we do too! I am sorry it didn't work for you.