The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop relaying per domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kernow, Nov 11, 2005.

1. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    Am looking for a way to stop some...... but not all .....customers domaiins from relaying mail. Would this be in /etc/relathosts or /etc/relayhostsusers ??

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suspect what you mean by relaying is something quite different from what I think we would normally mean by relaying. You never, ever want to allow relaying. "Relaying" means random people connect to the server to send email to random addresses, usually meaning spammers, and is also called "open relay".

If you mean you want to prevent some of your customers using your SMTP server to send out their emails, it's probably best handled by encouraging them to use their ISP's SMTP servers to send their email, and not telling them how to use your own SMTP servers. Apologies if you were asking about something different!

3. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply. !
    The mail server is closed to relaying mail generally, but if i look WHM >>email >>>> relaying, there are a few customers who relay the odd mail here and there, but a couple who relay 50 or so mails a day, and its those i want to restrict or stop.

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not sure why you would want to stop them relaying emails? As far as I know that's normal usage in a day for a heavy email user, or for a group of people in an office.

The only reason I can think of for wanting to stop this is to force them to use their ISP for outgoing email (ie SMTP setting of mail.someisp.net). The only problem with this is that it will stop laptop users using the domain's mail servers, they'll have to change it for each different ISP they plug the laptop into. Or am I missing something?