The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STOP SPAM!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by universal2001, Jun 25, 2002.

1. universal2001

universal2001 Registered

There must be something in CPANEL/WHM which should limit the number of emails that get sent out per minute or day! Some spammer sent out thousands of emails from using sendmail and PHP on our server recently and caused a whole big mess...

NICK, are you working on something like this????

Or does anyone know where I can change this in the EXIM config files??? What command do I change or add??

2. zex

zex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seems to me that cpanel exim is prety good protected from spammers.
    Relaying trough cpanel is posible only with authorization.

Maybe you should check did some of your users still have uncofngiured formmail.pl scripts wich spammer use for sending mails.
    Check apache logs in /usr/local/apache/domlogs for formmail.pl entry. Also check did you recently update your cpanel to newsest verison.

3. itf

itf Well-Known Member

Find your to 50 outgoing spammers by using

WHM -& email -& View Mail Stats

It doesn't matter which email account sent it, this statistics are on a Linux user basis

4. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

This can't be done. It will break Mailman and anything else that uses email as a main purpose. Also cpanel isn't made to run your server. Unless you know what you're doing cpanel is just a tool to make it easier. If Nick was to put limits on mail it would just cause problems. Instead as the admin you should just terminate the account.

5. snowgod

snowgod Well-Known Member

[quote:e6a03c33f3][i:e6a03c33f3]Originally posted by awsol[/i:e6a03c33f3]

This can't be done. It will break Mailman and anything else that uses email as a main purpose. Also cpanel isn't made to run your server. Unless you know what you're doing cpanel is just a tool to make it easier. If Nick was to put limits on mail it would just cause problems. Instead as the admin you should just terminate the account.[/quote:e6a03c33f3]

amen

6. TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE

TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE Well-Known Member

i 2nd

-Ed

7. gorgo

gorgo Well-Known Member

I agree, you can't expect cpanel to run every function of your web server... There are programs you can run to analyze mail traffic and lock down accts that are spamming...

Also, the server will email you when someone runs a new php/perl sendmail script on the server, and show you exactly where it is... at that point you could check the sendmail logs to see if the script was piping extreme amounts of data to the server.